New Speakers.

If you want to go used, you can get some nice full range speakers for that price.  If you're thinking new, you're probably limited to bookshelf speakers.

I would however avoid any and all marantz speakers.  Speaker building was never their thing and I'm pretty sure none of their models were ever highly regarded.  Their amps on the other hand...

Monitor Audio makes some great affordable speakers.  Their Bronze and Silver line are the real winners in their price class.  Wharfedale are also great for the money.

Used there are hundreds of options if you look carefully and know a bit about vintage equipment.  300-500 in used speakers could get you something very good like JBL monitors, Kef Reference Series, ADS speakers, Boston Acoustics, etc...

I recommend you go to some stores and audition some speakers to find out what you like. While asking strangers on the internet what their favorite brands of speakers are can be an okay place to start, it shouldn't be the finish line for you spending $500 blindly. There are so many different options that will all sound different integrated into the same setup; One man's "these xyz speakers sound so great!" Is another man's "these speakers sound like absolute shit."

At least that's always been my opinion regarding buying speakers. Audition first, have no regrets later :)

I recommend you go to some stores and audition some speakers to find out what you like. While asking strangers on the internet what their favorite brands of speakers are can be an okay place to start, it shouldn't be the finish line for you spending $500 blindly. There are so many different options that will all sound different integrated into the same setup; One man's "these xyz speakers sound so great!" Is another man's "these speakers sound like absolute shit."

At least that's always been my opinion regarding buying speakers. Audition first, have no regrets later :)

+1 on all of that, speakers tend to make the biggest difference sound wise so going with what your ears tell you is the only way to go with any speaker old or new.

Oh absolutely, I'm just looking for a place to start as I think I'm probably going to be looking used.

I have Monitor Audio RX1s that I like very much.

Monitor Audio makes some great affordable speakers.  Their Bronze and Silver line are the real winners in their price class.  Wharfedale are also great for the money.

Used there are hundreds of options if you look carefully and know a bit about vintage equipment.  300-500 in used speakers could get you something very good like JBL monitors, Kef Reference Series, ADS speakers, Boston Acoustics, etc...

Awesome, thanks I will look into these.

I was in the market for some new bookshelf speakers myself recently. I had narrowed it down to the Focal 700 or Klipsch RB8's. I went with the Focal 700 V bookshelf speakers 3 months ago and absolutely love them. The Klipsch had more bass, but were more bright overall than I cared for. The Focals on the other hand had great mids and just sounded more warm overall.