anyone use a sub with their integrated amp?

I'm in the market for an integrated amplifier for an incoming Project Debut Carbon. predictably enough, I was considering a Marantz pm6004 or 5004. from what I'm reading though, they are tricky to use a sub woofer with. does anyone have experience with this? or can anyone recommend an alternative? price range around $300 - $350. 

admittedly, I am really ignorant about this kind of thing and only have a vague idea of what I'm asking. I have been doing some reading/youtubing but if anyone wanted to weigh in and share some knowledge, I'd be grateful. I understand that a sub woofer isn't really necessary for a turntable setup, but if i'm putting money into this set up, I'd like to be able to expand it with a sub and just plug in some bass heavy music on occasion...as juvenile as that is...

thanks.

edit: or maybe I don't need a subwoofer at all? maybe I should get the Marantz amp and some nice floorstand speakers?

If you are using the correct sized speakers for the room you shouldn't need any sort of sub.

In Hifi (music) you use a sub in very rare cases when the room size only lends itself to very small monitor type speakers or in some near field monitor situations but in AV (surround sound for video) you use a sub regularly for the big bangs because the output is processed and split up in that way and therefore lends itself to it better but the correct size speaker comment is still true here.

The problem with using a sub in a Hifi system is that the bass will only come from one place and not the intended two, you can do it but it would always be a compromise like it is in any AV system

I use a sub with my setup about half the time. I'm running Martin Logan Motion 12's with a Pioneer SX-950 in a 15x20 room with acoustic treatments. When I'm listening to rock or heavy shit at high volumes I'll usually use the sub, when I'm just chilling listening at normal levels I'll usually keep it off. Nice to have the option though. And if you play with the sub placement it should be pretty easy to get it sounding balanced as far as left and right goes. Easiest way is to put the sub where you sit when you listen and walk around the room until you find the spot it sounds best, and put it there (if space permits).

neither the PM6004 or PM5004 have a pre-out or sub output. 

Personally, I dislike using a subwoofer for music but if you are dead-set on it, most subs offer a few different connection options.  You could probably make it work with the right sub, but it wouldn't be ideal.

You are probably better off looking for something designed to work with a subwoofer.

You don't need a pre out to use most subs. Most subwoofers have speaker level in, and depending on how they are built, have speaker outs, or are loaded such that they appear virtually invisible to the power amp.

Subs are tricky with music, though, and require very detailed and careful setup. The crossover, volume, and placement must be set perfectly in order to blend seemlessly with the other speakers and to not overwhelm the room or change the sound of what you are listening to by adding too much bass. That being said a well matched sub, set up properly can add a great dimension to your listening experience.

alright. thanks everyone for the shared knowledge and opinions. hopefully I'll get some time to do more research this weekend and have more of a grasp on what i'm looking for. I'll probably just use whatever works for now and continue looking into it while I look for a deal on something better. 

Live near ATL? Buy my floorstandings.

But for the sub, use the pre out.

But ultimately, you probably don't need a sub. What speakers are you using?

I live in Oregon. sorry. haha. I don't know what speakers i'm getting yet. I was using a Curtis Mathes tv/tt/receiver combo thing for a little while but it's got a lot of issues.  I decided it's time to set up my own thing and get a turntable that will be easier on the records. so yeah, pretty much new to hifi.

I saw some floor stand speakers at a thrift shop in town and just wrote the info down to look them up. $25 for a pair of Acoustic Research 310 HO's. 

some specs I found.

3-way tower loudspeakers with bi-wireable side-firing woofer.
Dimensions(HxWxD): 37" x 10" x 17"
W: 73lbs Each
Driver Complement: Plasma Transfered Diamond-Coated 1" Titanium Dome Tweater
Dual 5 1/4" Magnesium/Aluminum Monocoque Mid-Range
10" High Excursion Woofer
All transducers are magnetically shielded
Frequency Response: 35Hz-23KHz +/- 2dB
Sensitivity: 95dB @ 2.83 Volts / Meter
System Impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal

here's a google image of them:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0GEYHv-NYV01Rv5WUnavhtV9MMGut_luKP0O2p1Tdh4pk3eea

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRT1C3vbMmoew-42je4lJCwmdPDDKRY9BGkxt30CNoTP_MKJn06yQ

from what I've read they are not that great. but for $25 I feel like I could put them to use while I explore other options and look for a deal on some quality speakers. any red flags based on these specs?  ( I think I understand them but, again, I'm pretty ignorant still.)

thanks again, for any feedback. I don't think I'd be getting into all of this without all the information I've gathered from this community. 

Well they will definitely give you some bass and at $25 they have to be worth a go.

No they are probably not stunning but might be a good basis for a project, I expect they are lacking at the top end and upper mid and that the bass is a bit overwhelming and not very well controlled. You can tame the bass with some wadding inside as I expect there is none and or limiting the port a bit and you can probably improve the top end by fitting a more efficient tweeter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up picking up a Pioneer VSX-451 amp for $15 and a set of Pioneer CS-H505 floorstand speakers for $25. (I thought they were Acoustic Research 310 HO's). Anyways, I'm happy for now and they make plenty of bass for me so when I do get around to getting something else I won't be worried about a sub. Thanks again, everyone.