Buying vinyl online question for a newbie

To be honest, local record shops are WWWAAAYYYY better then buying it online. Personally, I live a minute walking distance to 5-6 Record shops, all of them are awesome too. The only thing I had no problem with from buying stuff online are cassettes. There are some cool stuff on discogs, VC, etc that I want to collect but local record stores have a lot of stuff that I won't listen to that much.

I see what you mean Kyle. I'm in a similar situation. The local record stores around me are mom & pop places whose entire stock is from the pre-1990s. This is great if that's what you're looking for, but personally I have all the older records I want already. My other options for grabbing newer releases outside of the internet are Newbury Comics, drive into Boston, or hope that Deathwish has it and I can swing by and grab it.

As someone that lived in Aiken, SC (near Augusta, GA), I feel this. Augusta had a shop that was good for a lot of soul/funk/r&b, but they definitely didn't have newer stuff from bands that I would like to spin. My options were to either go to Charlotte or Atlanta, and neither of those were close enough to drive to just for records. Back in SoCal now... so much better. So it kinda depends on where people live.

To be honest, local record shops are WWWAAAYYYY better then buying it online. Personally, I live a minute walking distance to 5-6 Record shops, all of them are awesome too. The only thing I had no problem with from buying stuff online are cassettes. There are some cool stuff on discogs, VC, etc that I want to collect but local record stores have a lot of stuff that I won't listen to that much.

I'm going to preface this by saying I do regularly shop for used wax at my local shops, however when amazon is cheaper, free two day shipping, no sales tax, and a MP3 copy of the album, I always buy from them. Now, most of the recent releases I have purchased have been directly from the band or label. Especially since some of the local shops are unwilling to order imports.

Where the hell do you live? 5-6 record shops within one minute of your house? No way they could all stay in business.

I usually have to buy stuff online (mostly pre-orders) or "rarer" things off Discogs because the only nearby record store is a Rasputin that I used to pick stuff up at for several months but hasn't had anything new in 8 months now. There is also a Hot Topic that just started getting records but the assortment is pretty much a bunch of NOFX records and very sparingly do I see the HT exclusive stuff.

It's an hour drive to go to Sac for Dimple Records or an hour to get to Berkeley or San Francisco for their Amoebas and Rasputins. I need to check out 1-2-3-4 Go! in Oakland though (also an hour drive) since it seems to be more catering to my taste. 

For some people local shops aren't always the best I suppose.