Buying vinyl online question for a newbie

Just started collecting and have found the best source for purchasing vinyl is online.

My question is this: I purchased a "new/sealed" vinyl from an online retailer. It comes packaged well... but the record inside is not mint. A corner has a huge bend in it and there is some weird crumb under the shrink wrap. This isn't the first time i ordered "new" and it wasn't perfect, but this time the album is worth a pretty penny and i expected it to be mint. Is this a common problem in the vinyl collecting community? Any suggestions on how to handle this.. or do i just deal with it?

Honestly if you are getting something shipped to you, you probably never should expect it to come mint. Things happen in transit that the seller can't control and as long it isn't too bad and doesn't effect the actual record I wouldn't worry about it too much or if you do you should just buy in person.

I don't know how "mint" you expect your records to be.  It sounds like you're getting unlucky, because I've purchased hundreds of records from online retailers and only have had a couple of huge issues with bends in transit, shipment, whatever.  But I mean, a minor corner ding is bound to happen once in a while, that's just life of shipping records.  You can't really control how USPS handles the records you send, even if you write "FRAGILE" on the box they may not read it or care about it.

But yes, buying records online is much better than just going to the local record store simply because there's so many online stores that all carry different items while you may have 3 record stores in your area that all generally have a pretty similar selection and may or may not cater to your music tastes.

Just started collecting and have found the best source for purchasing vinyl is online.

No way man, the local shops forever! :P Yes I do buy probably 70% online these days but that's because I pre-order now. It's hard to beat the local stores used sections though, gems are waiting to be found everywhere. Also I guess it depends how up to date your store is, for instance M Theory here in San Diego gets a ton of distro from Sub Pop, Woodsist Records and Captured Tracks to name a few that offer the album for cheaper than online prices. 

No way man, the local shops forever! :P Yes I do buy probably 70% online these days but that's because I pre-order now. It's hard to beat the local stores used sections though, gems are waiting to be found everywhere. Also I guess it depends how up to date your store is, for instance M Theory here in San Diego gets a ton of distro from Sub Pop, Woodsist Records and Captured Tracks to name a few that offer the album for cheaper than online prices. 

M Theory is a really solid spot I've picked up some real gems there. 

Buying online is always going to be more problematic.  The risk of split seams, scuffs, bent corners, and warping is exponentially higher.  Try to find a local shop and only order online when necessary.

yep.  i wish i had just one decent local store, but i don't.  and south florida sun can warp things left on the doorstep.

yep.  i wish i had just one decent local store, but i don't.  and south florida sun can warp things left on the doorstep.

totally! the stores by me are "Dimple Records," I've checked them out a couple times and they never have what I'm interested in and the origination of the records they do have is shit. Not to mention over priced.

My record shop is about 35 minutes away and doesn't always have what I want in-stock... but I still order albums through them when I can. It's a slight hassle, but it costs about the same as me ordering online and I'm very happy to support a local shop because all the people there are really great. 

There's another record shop about 15 minutes from me that's my coworker said is really nice (I used to live by the one that's farther away which is why I still go there). Plus there's a stereo shop that sells refurbished gear and some vintage records nearby, and I believe there's another record shop about 30-40 minutes the opposite direction. And I live in the middle of bum-fuck-nowhere.

But that said, even some records I order through the shop sometimes come 'damaged.' It's not their fault. It almost entirely depends on how the record is packed. If the records are stored inside the sleeve--especially if its not shrink-wrapped and/or tightly packaged--it'll likely have some creases or tears around the seams. It sucks, but... I get over it. And often times, new records do have a bit of 'dirt' on them. That's normal. Just wipe 'em down. 

I know how you feel...i thought i was gaving terrible luck getting stuff in mint condition. It drives me nuts. But. It does seem to happen to everyone. Maybe i just have high expectations. I have always collected sports cards, and am used to having to keep everything perfect.

Unfortunately, there aren't any local record stores within an hour...

The worst thing about selling records online these days are the people who expect them to show up "mint".

Anyone who mail orders records should know and accept the risk that you are going to get dinged corners, seam splits, etc... sometimes.

Especially considering it goes from the plant to the distributor to the store to the customer. So it's shipped at least three times before it ends up in the end users hands.

How does that work, with record shops? Cause it's the opposite for me. My record shop's prices for albums are almost always identical to what I'd pay going online, sometimes the shop is cheaper. Do they just have to essentially say, "Hey, I'm a record shop," and get better prices? I know there's some site or search they use and I guess order through, because two of the workers were complaining about it one day when I asked if they could order a certain record.

OP, if you're not happy with the condition your package came in, then e-mail the seller.  Propose a solution.  They may tell you to fuck off, or give you a discount.  

If it looks like they've done their part with packaging it correctly (proper record shipper, using cardboard fillers, bubble wrap), it's hard to fault the seller.  If they just threw it the wrong size box and sent it on its way, then you have more of the seller at fault.

I can't get anything special ordered at my local shop for under $19 a record it seems. I understand why they can't offer bargain basement prices but it's hard to pay $21-25 after tax for albums that I can get for $15-16 online.

I'm glad my local shop doesn't price gouge.

Get the fuck out.

What is wrong with you, dude?

I don't know why my opinion is such an unpopular one here.  I look at a band like Seahaven for example.  They're one of my favorite bands, but I've never been able to find any of their records at my local record shops.  The only place I've seen them is in the Hot Topic 40 minutes away from me.  Even a larger band like Brand New, I saw Daisy at one of the shops summer of 2012, but since then I haven't seen any of them.  However, they're always fully stocked with artists like The Black Keys and The White Stripes, or more poppy music like Lady Gaga and Bruno Mars.  It's cool to have the option to purchase those records, but none of them really cater to my musical interests, especially not for the $20+ that it would cost to get them.  It's way awesome to go to the record store and find a sweet record I've wanted for a while (Straylight Run - The Needles The Space) in the used bin, or to be able to get an old Beatles record for less than $10, but when it comes down to it, the local record stores around me don't usually have a selection that appeals to me.  When I go there, I walk in thinking I'm going to buy a record, and then in the end after searching for over half an hour I find one that ends up spinning once on my turntable and then collects dust because in reality, I never really wanted it too badly, I just wanted to buy a new record.

I understand why the record stores have the music they have, they need to make a profit to stay in business, and catering to a larger demographic by stockpiling represses of classic albums and carrying a ton of larger acts definitely helps them do that, but I'd much rather go online and find the records I actually have interest in.  I don't know why that warrants a "get the fuck out" from you.  I am sure there are some record stores around the USA that do carry more vinyl I would love, but I just haven't been too impressed with the stock I've seen in my area.

I understand why the record stores have the music they have, they need to make a profit to stay in business, and catering to a larger demographic by stockpiling represses of classic albums and carrying a ton of larger acts definitely helps them do that, but I'd much rather go online and find the records I actually have interest in.  I don't know why that warrants a "get the fuck out" from you.  I am sure there are some record stores around the USA that do carry more vinyl I would love, but I just haven't been too impressed with the stock I've seen in my area.

I see what you mean Kyle. I'm in a similar situation. The local record stores around me are mom & pop places whose entire stock is from the pre-1990s. This is great if that's what you're looking for, but personally I have all the older records I want already. My other options for grabbing newer releases outside of the internet are Newbury Comics, drive into Boston, or hope that Deathwish has it and I can swing by and grab it.