As a seller, what should I do? Updated:5/11/08

My reply:

"I'm sorry but $15 is 11% of the purchase price. The $30 was for shipping and the 14euro was a tax set by the Italian government, I assume. I didn't set those prices and I didn't make any money off of those so I shouldn't have to refund you money on that. In addition it cost me $36 dollars to ship the package to begin with so you didn't even pay for all of the shipping costs.

Also, you the damage was caused by the postal service not by me. The package was fine when I sent it out and I mailed it in the original mailer (so it could not have been better packed). As this seems to have happened before (you mentioned you've received other refunds) I think it would be in your interest to pay the extra money for insurance when you buy items from other countries. I will still issue you a $15 refund if you like but anything beyond that is not my fault and I have no reason to give you that money.

Thank you. "

Also, I mailed an LP to a dude in Germany at the exact same time who gave me nothing but praise. God I hate people

Ebay and Paypal suck! Shipping overseas is getting worse and worse.

I shipped a first pressing of The New York Dolls S/T to Italy. The guy said he got it and the vinyl had a big chunk broken out of it. I explained that chunks don't break out of vinyl LP's. He said he would provide pictures. He never did. He filed a complaint with Paypal, which ruled in his favor, although I had perfect feedback on records I had shipped previously. The only thing that ended up saving me was the fact that he was supposed to send it back and provide tracking to Paypal and never did. Surprise surprise... He then sent me a fake email from paypal.co.uk telling me to send the money back. Ha!

Then... I sent out a Smiths "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" promo a few months back. The asshole said he never got it, I couldn't find my tracking info, and paypal ruled in his favor and took all $117 and gave it back to him. They ALWAYS rule in favor of the buyer, even if the buyer has multiple complaints of fraud. My mom sells on ebay regularly and had the same problems with overseas buyers. And if you pad your shipping costs to buy things like tracking, insurance, etc. you can get in trouble with ebay.

Your best bet is to not use paypal, only accept cash or money orders, and get insurance and tracking on every single package you send out. Also, pictures of the record prior to shipping help a lot. And make sure to state in your description that you are not responsible for damage during shipping. And this is why I say stay away from paypal. Because even if you state this, they don't care and will still take your money and give it back to the buyer. At least no one can take your money if you get a money order in the mail.

Also, shipping to only "safe" parts of the world helps... US, Canada, and Europe (even though Italy seems sketchy...).

Fuck paypal.

The only upside is that I sold this thing way longer than 40 days ago so the time period on paypal has expired for a complaint.

But I still don't want the negative feedback. The thing is I put this record up for a BIN or Best offer and he made like 8 lowball best offers. It was the Radiohead discbox and the dude was offering me $50 and $70, when it was $80 brand new.

Anyhow, with the shipping I had to pay and the $15 refund my profit margin on this is about $22. So if I was to give him this 30% refund he's crying for I would have lost money on this sale, which wouldn't make a ton of fucking sense. Guh.

Guest vito

for some reason you should always avoid selling to people from italy. i've heard nothing but horror stories from people dealing with their postal service. that's cool that you paid for part of the shipping but man, those seam splits. ALWAYS ship vinyl out of the jackets. that is easily my biggest pet peeve. i hate opening a package and having to see that.

i'm from The Netherlands and had some deals with Italians, never again! even a lot of Euro sellers refuse to ship to Italy.

there's one thing i'd like to ask you guys on here. if you sell something overseas, please wrap it up well. the long trip can be hard on vinyl and the postal service doesn;t give a fuck.

i've sold a few things to italy with no problems. in fact, i've never actually had a selling problem on ebay and i've been using it for years. i'm no big-time seller or anything, but have never had to deal with shit like this. it worries me a little bit becuase more and more of my sales are being bought by people overseas. this thing that paypal always compensates the buyer is worrying to. the fact that people on a vinyl lovers board are being fucked over kinda bothers, coz we all know that we treat these black circles with the greatest of respect.

there was a situation in Brazil where the guy said he didnt get the record, but i hadnt heard back from him when i told him the address i posted it to (which was his ebay registered address - my guess, he moved and didnt change his details on ebay).

but please folks, DONT rule out selling to non-US peeps, coz i would never get the cool stuff i get if i couldnt buy from you guys. the only way to get cool vinyl is Stateside, otherwise its pants for us non-US folks.

sorry dante, that you're gonna cop neg feedback. it does suck even though the feedback system is useless at best. just make sure you reply to his neg feedback with the facts - buyer bought no insurance, item was perfect when sent, buyer unreasonable in demands etc etc

I don't sell to international sellers, unless they message me first and we converse a bit. I feel like if I talk to the buyer more, the less chance it is going to be someone who is going to screw me over.

we're not ALL out to fuck yas over! :D

i too like to talk to whoever i'm buying from / selling to wherever they are from. a dude 6 miles away has the opportunity to do me over the same as a dude 6 thousand miles away.