As a seller, what should I do? Updated:5/11/08

So I sold the Radiohead Discobox to someone in Italy and now they're complaining.

Their original complaint is that they had to pay 14.30 Euro in taxes on it. As I footed a large part of the shipping bill (I had to ship priority because it was over 4lbs, which I hadn't anticipated when I charged for shipping) I'm not too concerned but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is common.

His other complaint is that it was damaged when it arrived. As it was fine when I shipped it, I'm not too inclined to offer any refund. I don't know but I thought I'd share the pics he sent and see if any of you have any opinions or suggestions.

Thanks,

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Tell him about the shipping charge versus what he paid. Ask him to pay you back for shipping and you can figure out something, otherwise there's not much you can do for him. I'm sure you shipped it right and if he didn't ask for insurance then that's his bad. He paid taxes because you declared a value, which I don't do but is the actual correct thing to do so there's nothing you can do about that anyway. Its the way of inter-country commerce.

Guest baseball

Well you footed some shipping costs and he had to pay taxes, sounds like that kind of cancels each other out. You both had to front unexpected money.

The damage does not look very severe to me. If I'm getting stuff from overseas I just expect a certain amount of damage to occur. A lot can happen during a long trip. If the records themselves are fine and there's nothing severe to the packaging then it's not a big deal, IMO.

So I guess in conclusion, it doesn't seem to me like you should be refunding them money.

I ran into the same problem with something I got from Germany. The record arrived not as described with seam splits and such. I usually wouldn't pay it any mind, just call it the cost of doing business, but the record was $144. He and I worked it out and he ended up refunding me about half. It's a tough situation, but just be friendly with the guy and ask him what you can do for him short of a refund.

The thing that bums me out is I've sold a ton of stuff and never had a single problem. It doesn't help that I shipped it in the exact same packaged that W.A.S.T.E. sent it to me in, so I felt like I couldn't package it any better. I can tell I (from the pictures) exactly what happened too. It was dropped on the corner and that's where the dent and the splits came from (however I don't know how high it must have been to cause that much damage).

I just wanted to see what you guys thought. Everyone seems to express basically my feelings, but if I got all "You should refund his money" I would more seriously consider that option.

you should have shipped the LPs out of the sleeves to avoid that damange

If you sold me that record and it arrived like that, I'd expect you to make good on it somehow. The taxes problem isn't your concern, but the damage is extensive and could have been avoided by packing it better as Ericxthexred mentioned.

it's time to man up and give the guy back some money.

I understand the idea of a partial refund but I fail to see how I could have packed it better. We're not talking an LP. It was a discbox. I don't even have anything that would adequately fit it, besides the box I received it in (which I used when I shipped it). I'll look into some sort of a partial refund but honestly, I don't know how I could have packed it differently.

i guess its a goodwill issue rather than a who's right and who's wrong thing. he deffinitely should not expect a full refund. he didnt pay for insurance, so he's decided that he will accept it whatever the condition it arrives in. did u say in your listing that you do not accept liability for items damaged in the post? i would be thinking 10% of the winning vaue as a partial refund is adequate. if i have anything like this happen in my sales, i generally try to keep things amiciable and offer something suitable as compensation.

you could just play hardball about the fact he didnt buy insurance (as long as you offered it in your listing) but then negative feedback comes your way.

as a seller, you gotta try and protect yourself as best u can.

ive heard the italian post office sucks, and alot of places won't even ship there.

i generally say i won't take responsibility for anything once it leaves the states.

Unless people pay for insurance that's my stance as well. If I hand deliver something to you and I screw it up than I'll take responsibility. If you buy insurance we'll go down that road, otherwise, I'll apologize but can't do much.

Tell the guy to message Radiohead. My artwork booklet was severely damaged and they sent me another copy for free. Maybe they'll help him out.

oh interesting, my artwork wasn't damaged but the discbox case was slightly damaged. i just thought "aw fuck" and didn't do anything about it, but i guess it's worth a shot.

Those seam splits are pretty bad, which makes it look more like a post office problem than something you did. Packing the discs outside the box would probably have helped, but it was shipping overseas. If he wanted a perfect copy, don't buy one on ebay. I wouldn't ask for a refund in his position and I don't think you owe him one.

So I refunded the dude $15 of the purchase price (11%) and he turned it down. He actually refunded me back and said:

"excuse me, but the refund of 15 usd is very scarce, the damage is very big...Other seller ebayer in the past, they have refunded also 50%, but the minim is 30%.

Are you Great Ebayer?

I hope of Yes. "

Fuck this guy. I'll take the negative hit and just finish it. I'm fucking never selling to a fucking Italian dicklicker again.