People who have put out records: Cover Songs?

Hey guys,

I am about to launch a new Vinyl based label here in the near future, and, I am starting to get everything geared up for my first release. The only issue I have is that the first release has two cover songs, and I am a total noob when it comes to licensing and all that stuff. I have put out records and dealt with publishing and copyrights and all that jazz, but I have never done cover songs. I did some reading online, and it seems like that since we are planning on releasing only 500 copies of the record, that for every song under 5 minutes it will cost 8.5 cents per record, per song, and since there are two covers on the record, the grand total would just be $85 for 500 records.

That just doesn't seem right to me...that to license 2 songs that were released on major labels, it would only cost me $85. Now, I hope this is the case, but, you know, it just seems like with the way the music industry is constructed, I should expect to hork over a lot more cash for the licensing for this release.

Anyone, has anyone on here ever put out a record with cover songs and dealt with licensing? I've read stuff online, but would love to talk to someone who knows the process and what all it takes to get this done.

Thanks so much everyone,

- Z

i'd say fuck it and release them anyway, without paying royalties..

i think the only way you could get caught is if one of the artists actually hears one of the 500 records and decides to pursue it, which a payout of $42.50 doesn't make sense when they have to take in account lawyer's fees.

up the punx bro!

edit: You could always email Var @ No Idea.. their 100th release was an all covers record with Hot Water Music, etc on it. I'd bet anything they did it under the radar.

theres a special licensing for releases that will have under i think 2,000 copies pressed... go on harry fox, or bmi or whatever site manages the publishing rights for the song.. they can walk you thru it. thats what i did for the btmi/op!!! split

The only cover I've released was licensed from HFA. Super easy to do, costs around 91.00 for 1,000 records.