Putting Mac OS X Leopard on a PC

Not worth the trouble. Part of the appeal of OS X is the complete integration of the OS with the hardware, being that the same company makes the whole computer. You wouldn't be able to do software updates, and there will just be shit that won't work. You could always fool around with Linux if you're looking for an alternative OS, or you could just get a Mac. They are really nice.

I agree with Alexh. it's not worth the hassle.. best thing to do is just buy a mac if you want to run it... you can get a refurb'd macbook for a decent price, and they are repaired to "NEW" grade. and you get a a major discount..sometimes 30% depending on if it's an ipod or a mac.

yes I did this and yes I do own multiple macs. It was mostly for the fun and challenge. If you just google for hackintosh you'll find all the info you'll need. It basically comes down to the hardware you are working with, wether its "compatible" aka is it the same stuff that's in the real macs. Suprisingly there is a little more wiggle room here than you'd think. But if you just want to try it out to see if you can do it and to see what its like I suggest doing the install on a second harddrive so you don't have to A) blow away your window installation just in case you don't like it. and B) you don't have to mess with setting up dual booting, unless you are comfortable with that.

good luck, have fun.

Not worth the trouble? What kind of geeks are you.

I installed OS X on my PC when it was first possible and the experience was tricky, but a lot of fun.

My computer wasn't exactly what the hack called for, but after playing around a good bit I got it to work and I got it to work well. I wiped it out after I bought an iBook, but it was a blast to play around with.

If you have the patience and the computer knowledge then give it a shot, don't listen to the folks who say it's not worth the hassle, because the hassle is what makes "hacking" fun!

I was speaking in terms of an alternative os...if you're just going to mess around with it..then yeah...but he specifically asked if it would be worth it...which makes me think its as an alternative to windows...which its not worth it in that stitch...

To mess with: do it..enjoy.

To replace your os: switch to ubuntu.

Oh, if you want a new OS, then no I wouldn't rely on OS X on a PC. It's still buggy and has its faults.

If you're looking for a change of pace and a new OS, then Ubuntu is the way to go. Go to their website and download the .iso, burn it to a CD, restart your PC and boot the Live CD. You can play around in the OS w/out actually installing it. If you like it, go for the kill.

It's a great OS.

yes I did this and yes I do own multiple macs. It was mostly for the fun and challenge.

haha funny I was going to mention you did this and it worked but it appears you beat me to it

I own a mac (and have multiple macs in my house) I say if you are interested in OSX just bite the bullet and buy a mac... I didnt have the money for it but waited a long time before I broke down and bought one. It is so worth it I have never enjoyed a computer more. it is amazing what a good machine and platform can do to your computing experience.

To the people that are saying "just buy a Mac" -- I think you're missing the point of an experiment like this and/or I'm just reading into it with my overly geeky mind.

Installing OS X on a PC, is kind of like listening to vinyl over an MP3. It's a bit more of a hassle, but is very rewarding in the end. Not a perfect analogy, but I hope you see where I'm getting at.

Why spend a few thousand dollars when you can install OS X for free (as in beer) and tinker around?

To the people that are saying "just buy a Mac" -- I think you're missing the point of an experiment like this and/or I'm just reading into it with my overly geeky mind.

Installing OS X on a PC, is kind of like listening to vinyl over an MP3. It's a bit more of a hassle, but is very rewarding in the end. Not a perfect analogy, but I hope you see where I'm getting at.

Why spend a few thousand dollars when you can install OS X for free (as in beer) and tinker around?

I assumed he wanted to just completely wipe out his hard drive and put OSX on his PC. that's why i suggested it wasn't worth the hassle. if it's just for tinkering, then go at it..

few thousand? i only spend $1000 on mine macbook and it's just over a year old.