PO: Clerks OST

It's their own damn fault for being idiots and selling the rights in the first place though...

I've always been confused over how exactly album rights work. How is it some people own every single note they ever wrote like Zappa, and others have to beg, borrow, and steal to attain their own work?

I've always been confused over how exactly album rights work. How is it some people own every single note they ever wrote like Zappa, and others have to beg, borrow, and steal to attain their own work?

Because smart people don't sell the rights to their albums, and idiots do. It's not rocket science.

Those who don't own the rights to their own shit sold it to make the records, whereas Zappa busted his ass, and made his own label, so even when he put stuff out on larger labels, he "rented" his songs out, for lack of a better phrase because it was worth it to those larger labels.

Because smart people don't sell the rights to their albums, and idiots do. It's not rocket science.

Those who don't own the rights to their own shit sold it to make the records, whereas Zappa busted his ass, and made his own label, so even when he put stuff out on larger labels, he "rented" his songs out, for lack of a better phrase because it was worth it to those larger labels.

So it really does boil down to decision making skills above all. How desperate you are for money, or how badly you understand what kind of deals you're getting involved in. I can't fathom being told that words I came up with and arrangements I created didn't belong to me..