Should I buy this piece of junk I found on Craig's List?

Temptation takes various forms.  All too often, it takes the form of some 2nd hand fire hazard you found on Craig's List.  

Thinking about buying some piece of junk you found on Craig's List?  Post it here and we'll talk you down.

I will get it started:

Should I buy this Kenwood KA-80100 Integrated amp with KT-7300 Tuner for $285?  

Pros - it's really shiny. Badass huge switches.  Looks pretty clean.

Cons - Never been serviced and I have zero use for it.

00m0m_bSrL3rrkCEb_600x450.jpg

For future reference: Don't use this forum to ask about vintage gear. 

If everything is functioning properly, that's actually a pretty nice amplifier (it's a KA-8100, not 80100). The price isn't completely horrible either, assuming you want both the amplifier and the tuner. The guy knows what he has, so if you're looking to score a vintage gem for a song, keep looking. But if you can talk him down to ~$200 for the two, that's comparable to some recent ebay prices, and you'd end up with some pretty nice, high quality vintage gear.

For future reference: Don't use this forum to ask about vintage gear.

If everything is functioning properly, that's actually a pretty nice amplifier (it's a KA-8100, not 80100). The price isn't completely horrible either, assuming you want both the amplifier and the tuner. The guy knows what he has, so if you're looking to score a vintage gem for a song, keep looking. But if you can talk him down to ~$200 for the two, that's comparable to some recent ebay prices, and you'd end up with some pretty nice, high quality vintage gear.

my post was basically an attempt to mock myself for considering a purchase. I consider vintage gear to be an extravagance that most people cant afford. I would rather spend a little more on something modern that works than a half-dozen dodgy vintage pieces.

I do find myself thumbing through CL on occasion. I have a particular weakness for these aluminum face pieces that look like scientific gear out of the 60's. If I had space and money to burn, I would have a Pioneer Spec setup if only to look at it.

Apparently you don't read this forum often enough to realize a handful of people really know their vintage gear.

That's actually my point... only a handful of people.

I consider vintage gear to be an extravagance that most people cant afford. 

I put together decent system that would have cost me a lot more if I went with comparable modern parts instead (mostly just my amp). So I don't really understand your point... I went vintage because I wanted to save money. If you're worried about buying 'dodgy' equipment, you just need to do a bit of research beforehand to know what you're getting and how easy/difficult it may be to service (IF needed--often times a good cleaning is all that's necessary).

Man, I don't even know why you're up-in-arms about that comment... I mean, just read the responses to this thread? I'm not trying to call anybody out, but there was no useful information given, hence my comment. Or maybe it's my fault for making a serious response in what apparently is a non-serious / troll thread? I'm not good at the internets; I'm uncool and often too serious. 

so, i'm new to the forums, and new to vinyl for that matter..  but i've been reading a bit on these and other forums all morning, so i tried checking out craigslist to see if i could find any deals on used turntables.  found a marantz tt251 for $95.  would that be something to consider purchasing?

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I like!!!!

11 on the shiny scale

10 on the buttons and knobs scale

And castors so you can wheel it into view at your next fondue party

Got the 70's written all over it, I can see the flares and hear ABBA playing now

And for those with a sense of humour failure just in case, never was a fan of Kenwood (Trio for us) but early Marantz I've always had a soft spot for.