Help me build my new setup

To start, yes I read through the "Beginner's Guide" - got a few of my ideas from there.

I currently live in a town house and my room is pretty small.

I'm currently working with a AT-LP60, Sony STR-DH130, and Sony SS-B1000 speakers. Put it together based on recommendations of a friend. Obviously need to upgrade everything.

I'm liking Pro-ject turntables, Marantz integrated amps, and M-Audio bookshelf speakers(not sold on these yet)

I think for this new set up I'd like to stay around $1000 and I'm gonna have to buy them in pieces.

I think the M audio speakers are all active (they have an amplifier built in) so they are a bit pointless with the Marantz amplifier

I didn't even think about that 

My opinion: $360 for a Debut Carbon, $100 for a phono stage, $500 for a set of really solid active speakers, then try to squeeze in some stands with whatever money's left.

Do you have any recommendations based on use / experience for the phono or speakers

buy this discounted Pro-Ject 1.3 so I don't have to.  ~400

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PRRM13

Or call Musician's Friend and get a discounted Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC for around $360.  Ask for 20% off but they might only do 15%

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc

Those are both solid.

I went into my local shop today just to see what he had and I figured maybe I'd just get it from him, he told me what I wanted was unnecessary and insisted a Music Hal USB-1 to some $100 computer speakers was all I needed...

Wow....either this person is an idiot or thought you couldn't afford any of his "good" stuff. Which is even more insulting. 

He's a really nice guy usually, it just seemed to me that his preferences were weird. He has more expensive Music Halls that looked similar to some Projects, but no Projects. He just said he doesn't see the need to fork out $400-$500 for a turntable. It was really odd.

He just said he doesn't see the need to fork out $400-$500 for a turntable. It was really odd.

I suppose if your question was just framed around digitising your vinyl rather than actually listening to it the answer makes a small amount of sense but other than that my reaction to his equipment suggestion is accurately and eloquently transcribed below

Ew.

He just expanded his shop to include equipment, but it seemed overly lacking. 

Checked out the other record store around here and they have the same lower end equipment.

I wonder if the guys in this area just don't know.

The headphones they sold were all JVC

Yeah I just wanted to see what he had and was let down. I'll likely buy stuff online as thats where the best deals seem to be anyway.

Pretty sold on a Pro-ject turntable (either the Debut Carbon or RM 1.3)

Now just deciding what I want the rest to be. Haven't seen amplifiers or speakers that jumped out to me yet, so really I'm trying to see what you guys suggest. Hoping to buy it all early 2015 and would like to have an idea what I plan on getting soon.

With the 1.3 I've had the stock Sumiko Pearl, an Ortofon 2M Blue, and currently Ortofon Quintet Red. All 3 are great. I think the Pearl is a great beginners cartridge, but you'll see drastic improvement with the 2M Blue.

I used it with a Marantz 2330B, a Rotel RA-1062, and currently Parasound 2100/2125 combo. I've never been a fan of separate phono stages, as Rotel has a great MM phono stage, and Parasound has an even better MM.

I think turntables have to pair with carts and phono stages... Less with speakers. Speakers should pair better with your integrated/amps.

I used it with a Marantz 2330B, a Rotel RA-1062, and currently Parasound 2100/2125 combo. I've never been a fan of separate phono stages, as Rotel has a great MM phono stage, and Parasound has an even better MM.

Sadly a lot of modern (post late 80's and AV amp) built in phono stages are piss poor although with the resurgence of vinyl that will hopefully change.

I think turntables have to pair with carts and phono stages... Less with speakers. Speakers should pair better with your integrated/amps.

Cartridges and arms are mated by using the mass and compliance values but these tend to take a big of digging to find now, the hifi mags used to publish lists for this regularly so if you can get hold of one a lot of the info is still valid.

Totally agree. I was very lucky with the Rotel, but the Parasound? Way better. Yes these aren't the pieces the every day VC user will be looking at, but I still believe both Rotel and Parasound make a great integrated phono.

And for tonearm/cart: exactly where I was going with that statement. If you remember my Denon 103 issues...

Good point on the Denon.

I should really scan in the cartridge and arm guide I have, I think it might be useful for people so I'll give it a go over the holidays.

I've not heard the Parasound so can't comment but have had plenty of Rotel kit and on the whole found it to be a very good standard musically, ironically their stand alone phono stage is not liked but I've always found it good value.