best turntable ~$1000? $1500?

Man, don't remember if I ever mentioned this, but I've learned that upgrading my analog gear has been as much of a relief as it was a pain in the ass. Don't know really how to explain it, but I find that I'm actually listening to vinyl far less than I was back when I got my first shitty 70s JVC table. The thing is, now it takes much more... effort? It's also more stressful and takes more precision I guess. The listening experience is of course much better, but I go for it much less often because of all the hassle. Sometimes I wish I could go back to my old setup, when I was spinning records all day long.

I think that the little annoyances that you used to ignore bother you more because you spent $$$ and hours getting everything to work perfectly and when something distrupts that, it's bothersome. 

I am now realizing how filthy some of my records are.  May be time to pull the trigger on a 16.5.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

I'm a pretty simple guy.  My sort of benchmark is Weezer - "Say it Ain't So".  If that one song sounds good, everything else should fall into place.  So the first record I played was the blue album and I have to say I was impressed.  The thing that struck me most was the bass.  It is more present without being boomy.  (I am terrible at describing this stuff).  My old system had decent bass for bookshelf speakers, but now I can feel it in the floor.

The output on this cart seems to be much lower than the 2m Red.  using the on board phono pre on my PM8004, I have to crank the volume up maybe 50% further to get to the same volume as my digital channel.  Although, even at that higher volume, everything is silent. 

An outboard phono pre may be in order.

When it is raised, the lift is even with the rubber piece that holds the arm in place on the rest, so when you release it slides right over, so I guess it is being raised to the correct height,

^^^^ This is correct and exactly how it is on the one here.

Here are some pictures for reference.

IMG_3248_zps63d9dda4.jpg

Cue in raised position

IMG_3252_zpsf3268071.jpg

Cart above record in raised position

.IMG_3253_zpsded9bada.jpg

Lowered onto record to show VTA.

There is no adjustment for the cue height.

appreciate it.  I just want to compare your measurment to the distance I ended up going with.  I ended up taking a stack of poker chips and stacking them under the left mechanism until I got to a reasonable height (so scientific).  I still have the little round felt piece they included, it'll be pretty easy to add that to the stack and measure.

One thing that I see different in your picture is that the rail on the lift arm has felt on your turntable.  Mine is just bare metal.  That could make enough of a difference to keep the needle above the record when lifted.

Just finished setting up.

No issues on my end. I went pretty slow as I was nervous at the price of everything. Mine came without a box... It was weird. But material wise, I couldn't find any flaws. Maybe just a damaged box? I did get two motor fly wheels... Did you?

My cue mechanism is fine. It's a little slow when lowering (cold?) but after balancing the tonearm and anti skate, it works fine.

It sings. I'm one track in (Postal Service - Sleeping In), but you're right. Surprisingly good bass. Considering I had to completely move my system around, I still need to work on speaker placement, but first impression, I'm really happy. I always say I notice improvement by hearing things I've never heard before. I can already say that.

The distance from the plinth to the bottom of the cue box on ours is 13/16". That is with the mat.

Couldn't find my metric ruler :(

hmm...that comes out to a little more than 2 cm. I ended up raising mine to a little over 2.5 cm without using the mat.

that little bit of felt may very well make the difference in whether the arm is lifted above the platter when raised.

Just finished setting up.

No issues on my end. I went pretty slow as I was nervous at the price of everything. Mine came without a box... It was weird. But material wise, I couldn't find any flaws. Maybe just a damaged box? I did get two motor fly wheels... Did you?

My cue mechanism is fine. It's a little slow when lowering (cold?) but after balancing the tonearm and anti skate, it works fine.

It sings. I'm one track in (Postal Service - Sleeping In), but you're right. Surprisingly good bass. Considering I had to completely move my system around, I still need to work on speaker placement, but first impression, I'm really happy. I always say I notice improvement by hearing things I've never heard before. I can already say that.

Mine came in a brown box with the model info hand-written on it.  only one motor fly wheel included.

I guess there must be slightly different versions of the tone arm around.  I looked at a few pictures online and didn't see the felt on the lift arm.  was it pre-applied or was it just in the box and you applied it yourself?