PO: Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker (2015 Reissue)

gmoney

I cant imagine anyone liking 29 more than Heartbreaker, to me that is one of his worst albums. I put Heartbreaker near his peak, for reasons that others have said. It has more of the alt country feel to it and coming off of Whiskeytown it was a good transition into his solo stuff. The songs on the album all have great emotion and sincerity, and he hasnt fallen into writing reviews of movies as songs (I'm looking at you This House is Not For Sale).

As an aside, how fucking great a songwriter is Ryan that he can write movie summaries as songs and the songs be amazing?

It's a little too country /folk for me.

Cold roses is my adams pinnacle

Funny, I had strayed away from him for a bit because I wasn't really into the heavier leanings toward rock when he first did, but hearing Cold Roses was what brought me back to him because I thought it was the best roots/country sounding work he had done in years.

Heartbreaker and Whiskeytown's Pneumonia are my favourites for sure. With Stranger's Almanac, R Gold, and Cold Roses next, and the rest all at the bottom (I really haven't liked much about his albums since 2005 or so, barring a few songs here or there). Though I have to say, I loved listening to Live at Carnegie Hall - I think I prefer RA at his sparsest, hence my love of Heartbreaker. I also think the production on Heartbreaker is just perfect - the sparseness, and almost inaudibility of some instruments just makes it perfect for the tone of the actual songs. On RA's later stuff, I've always found the production was just a bit too plain/boring/generic. But that's just me.

Anyways, I'm kind of pissed that my Heartbreaker from Amazon.ca isn't coming for 3-5 weeks...and I ordered it pretty early on .ca.