Hey look, I built a thing (custom stand with TV mount)

Thought some people (particularly apartment dwellers) might be interested in this project. 

for a long time, I have been wanting to merge my vinyl and AV setups but needed to figure a way to get my TV off the deck to free up space for my turntable.  Since I live in apartment, wall mounting isn't really an option and I didn't want to invest in another meh quality AV stand with a built in mount.  After way too much hemming and hawing, I finally went forward and made this stand.

This monstrosity is made out of 2 pieces of solid oak bench top (around 1.5" x 24" X 60"), some 1" steel pipe/fittings and an out of the box Sanus FMS01 add-on mount bolted into the bench tops.  It's rock solid and pretty fool proof to build.

It's not quite finished.  I think I am going to add an undermount shelf the center channel speaker and my bluray player.   Then I need to sand/finish the whole thing.

All in all, I am pretty pleased with the result.  if I could change anything I would make the whole thing about a foot shorter and around 4" shallower but 24" x 60" was the only stock size available and I am not set up to do any custom cutting.

11411695_10204438330224531_1626283586853

I've had my eye on the RX line for awhile, but can't upgrade right now unfortunately. Post a finished photo of the stand when it's all done.

I really liked my RX1s so I've been picking up second hand pieces on the cheap here and there. It's taken a great deal of patience to get matching finishes.

Looks great. Maybe add another pipe in the middle for support, to keep it from bowing over time.

the TV mount provides some support. It goes all the way to the floor and has its own feet, so it doesn't apply any weight.

That said, I think I am going to put in a middle support of some kind in the front. I just need to figure out if I am going to put in a shelf for the center channel, which would impact placement.

I guess both. I was just thinking of speaker placement in general and wanting the speaker output as close to eat level as possible. I imagine it will sound better as a system if the CC is close to inline as possible with other speakers as sounds go across the front of the system, as well.

I read a pro review of the RX surround package that suggested standing the center on its end.

I'll give that a try and see if it works out.

I'm trying to move the turntable away from the edge. It sits to close to the speaker right now.