[PO] HEALTH - Death Magic

It makes me so happy to see a HEALTH thread at VC.  Kudos to you for making it.

Is there a new single outside of New Coke?  I was a little so-so about that track when it was released, but I've revisited it several times over the last couple of months and I've really come to love it.  I'm pretty sure I read that Haxan Cloak is dipping his hand into the production, and that has me all the more excited for it.  The New Coke video breaks off into the aforementioned Max Payne 3 OST towards the end, but the

(as seen live) is just nuts, as far as the finale goes.

I was a little disappointed to see a lack of red vinyl, especially since their prior albums were all on colored wax – including red.  But $18 + shipping isn't too terrible of a price at all.  Really eager to hear this thing.

They've both been in my work playlist, so I've spent a bit of time with both of them too.  They both grew on me pretty quickly.  HEALTH is a band where I have trouble really 'getting' a song without the rest of the albums.  I didn't see anything regarding The Haxan Cloak being involved (probably due to me not paying attention), but I hope that's true.  I feel like his sound would mix nicely.

I agree about the lack of red vinyl, it seems like a no brainer considering the art.

So i'm going to be completely honest here.

I'm a huge fan of this band and have been patiently waiting for their follow-up to Get Color for years. Unlike some of the HEALTH fanbase, I'm not of the opinion that the band should stick to its insane constant noise barrage and switching of time signatures. I love that stuff, I really do - but I was seriously blown away by what I saw them achieve sticking to a more pop-centric structure with Die Slow and We Are Water that followed it.

So you can imagine my excitement when the Max Payne 3 OST was released - beautiful melodic ambient guitar ballads everywhere, and of course, "Tears" - which fully realized the best elements of HEALTH - the awesome noise / sound design, the slight tinge of hip-hop influence and their newfound (but always hinted at) danceability. It was all complimented by their typical haunting vocal delivery. I was sure that their next album would be their finest.

Based on these two singles, I'm going to be crushingly disappointed. My issue isn't with the stylistic change HEALTH incorporates - that's actually what I wanted and anticipated. My issue isn't with the lack of noise - they've learned to harness those sounds and really make them count rather than slather the entire song with them. My issue is with the actual songwriting and production. These new tunes just simply don't make me feel much - they lack the constant teetering between dance and something twisted and malicious that they nailed on their other songs in this style. The melodies are dull and HEALTH almost sounds bored trudging through them. The lyrics are atrocious and obvious - where are colorful and evocative lines like "does she profit to fill her lungs? or to hold her breath? she sees the red at night - no one knows"?

It sounds like they started hanging out with a bunch of beer-bong-chugging frat boys and set out with the artistic vision to create, "like, the craziest fuckin' shit ever, man."

Just doesn't sound inspired and vital like the old stuff to me.

However, that live video of New Coke was fucking amazing and gives me hope for the record.

So you can imagine my excitement when the Max Payne 3 OST was released - beautiful melodic ambient guitar ballads everywhere, and of course, "Tears" - which fully realized the best elements of HEALTH - the awesome noise / sound design, the slight tinge of hip-hop influence and their newfound (but always hinted at) danceability. It was all complimented by their typical haunting vocal delivery. I was sure that their next album would be their finest.

One of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time, it was just awesome. It was even better because the game ruled as well.

They've both been in my work playlist, so I've spent a bit of time with both of them too.  They both grew on me pretty quickly.  HEALTH is a band where I have trouble really 'getting' a song without the rest of the albums.  I didn't see anything regarding The Haxan Cloak being involved (probably due to me not paying attention), but I hope that's true.  I feel like his sound would mix nicely.

I agree about the lack of red vinyl, it seems like a no brainer considering the art.

I'm with you on HEALTH tracks being a lot stronger in context of the full album.  Listening to Stonefist, I'm fairly sold already... but I think it (and New Coke) will make even more sense with the entire record.  Can't wait.  This seems like it's going to be a great one to blare in the car.

Based on these two singles, I'm going to be crushingly disappointed. My issue isn't with the stylistic change HEALTH incorporates - that's actually what I wanted and anticipated. My issue isn't with the lack of noise - they've learned to harness those sounds and really make them count rather than slather the entire song with them. My issue is with the actual songwriting and production. These new tunes just simply don't make me feel much - they lack the constant teetering between dance and something twisted and malicious that they nailed on their other songs in this style. The melodies are dull and HEALTH almost sounds bored trudging through them. The lyrics are atrocious and obvious - where are colorful and evocative lines like "does she profit to fill her lungs? or to hold her breath? she sees the red at night - no one knows"?

It sounds like they started hanging out with a bunch of beer-bong-chugging frat boys and set out with the artistic vision to create, "like, the craziest fuckin' shit ever, man."

Just doesn't sound inspired and vital like the old stuff to me.

However, that live video of New Coke was fucking amazing and gives me hope for the record.

HEALTH did an AMA over at Reddit recently, and someone basically addressed your concern in the form of a question to the band.  They addressed it by saying that there is no shortage of crazy abrasion on the new record.  And that makes sense, I guess, since the singles are going to be tailor-cut for accessibility and radio play (or as close to it as can be).  I'm not too concerned, personally.  The direction of the singles are pretty solid, but I'm fully anticipating some wild moments sprinkled throughout the album as well.

Think I read somewhere Mr. Bobby Krlic had his hands in this record. Crazy the surface area he's covering in the world of music.

I'm pretty sure I read that Haxan Cloak is dipping his hand into the production, and that has me all the more excited for it.  

2 speculations = 1 confirmation?  I think so.

He definitely is getting around in the music world, and I love it.  If I could translate his production and those gritty depths into something tangible, I'd lather myself with it from head to toe.

• 2 weeks later...

I can always find something to bump it over $25.  Plus, almost everything I've ordered has shipped Priority (which is nuts).

It's a beautiful thing.

Have you listened to the album yet, or are you waiting for the physical copy?  Interested to hear your opinion, along with anyone else who feels like chiming in.

I'm excited for you. I wasn't expecting AOTY material, but there are a handful of tracks that wowed me with instant appeal. Can't wait to see how the others grow on me – especially if it's anything like the singles.

That's some strong praise!  Glad to know that this was worth the wait.  It's been a while since I've listened to any of their back catalogue, going to warm myself up with that.

I don't want to spoil it for you, but I'll simply say that it's... different. Some will argue for better and others for worse. I just admire them for not sticking with the tried and true. I only listened to it once, a few hours ago, and there are still certain parts of songs drilled into my head. The hooks are strong on this one... which is an odd thing to say about a HEALTH release.

wow, this album is really bad.

like, really, really bad.

and I'm a huge HEALTH fan. not even the kind that hates that they went all poppy, in fact that's exactly what I was hoping they would do after Die Slow, We Are Water and Tears ended up being easily some of their best material. but the problem here isn't the change of style, it's the execution.

I was actually shocked at how many times they used that same three-note descending melody. it is in almost every single song. the vocals and melodies are so vanilla and bad that it's actually kind of cringe-worthy to listen to.

still some cool tracks - salvia, men today and LA looks are great - but... yeah, total miss for me.

such a shame, I was looking forward to this album for years.

Saw that post coming a mile away.

I see no need to defend the record yet – because I can't accurately gauge how I truly feel about it after one listen – but I find that there are enough redeeming qualities on it to keep it around for a bit.  Going to blare it on the road today and see how I feel.  I know that the hooks and "poppier" approach are going to generate a lot of groans and mixed reactions, though.  I wasn't too crazy about either single at first, but they really came to light after a handful of listens over time.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the rest of the album followed suit.  It's got a great flow and atmosphere to it – I can feel those Haxan vibes behind the curtains, and that's reason enough for me to keep at it, personally.

Double post, but I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed blasting this on my drive out of town today, for what it's worth.  I don't know if it's in the mentality of approaching it – or perhaps I can credit it to my very recent pop kick – but I basically enjoyed the record start to finish.  Again, we're not dealing with an AOTY contender by any means.  But I really found myself digging the record when I stopped thinking of it as a continuation of HEALTH, and more like its own monstrosity.  To me, there are a lot of times on the album where it sounds like I'm listening to a darker, noisier version of CHVRCHES with male vocals.  [speaking of which, I was getting some Anthony Green vibes from the way a few lines are delivered on the record.  Anyone else?]  I don't know, it works for me.  It'll be interesting to see where the longevity is, but I do enjoy the accessibility blended in with that noisy, distorted production and glitchy moments.  The album is only 40 minutes and length and certainly doesn't do anything terribly groundbreaking, but it kept me entertained from start to finish.  Who knows? - maybe I'm just easy to please.  Maybe my expectations were realistic.  It's tough to say, but I'm happy with what I'm hearing.

@ mellowtooth – out of curiosity, what do you think of the track Flesh World (UK)?  I could easily see it being played at a club of sorts, and maybe that should be off-putting, but it's got such a strong pop hook in my books.  If it's a song that made you cringe, I guess we just get completely different levels of enjoyment from the record.  It's very accessible but infectious in the absolute best way possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to report back my thoughts on this.  I've listened to it a few times and enjoyed it.  Seems like a good soundtrack to the final part of the summer.  I don't mind the direction that they're going in.   I also don't know how much farther they can go with it before they lose me.  I'll always prefer their more abbrasive material, but this seems to sit nicely in their catalogue and it still feels like a HEALTH album.  I finally got around to ordering a copy, should be here in a few days.  Going to really dive in when it arrives!

I hope they release a remix album for this as well.  I rarely love remix albums, but their previous two hold up just as well as the albums their based on.