Beginner. What route shall i go, Vintage? New? Or turntable, amp and speakers?

Hello, My name is Craig and i am completely new to this so apologies if i come across as a complete moron.

My girlfriend bought me a Modern day Turntable with built in speaker a couple of christmas's ago and having built a relatively decent vinyl collection i have decided i am going to take this more seriously and want an upgrade. 

The player will be set up in my living room so i don't need anything overly mental however i want the option of being able to play my music loud and it to sound quality, unlike the microwave i am currently using. My problem is deciding which route to go.

Do i buy vintage, or do i buy a turntable, amp and set of speakers? I'd imagine the latter is going to be the better option, I have set myself a budget of £500. I know this may be a no no but i think i want to be able to record my vinyl to laptop so i can put it on my iPod too.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have had a mooch about on here at previous threads and have already learnt far more in the last hour then i have Googling "Vintage record players" the past week. Again i apologise for being such a novice and possibly asking divy questions but its all foreign to me. All i know is i cannot wait to get set up and play some vinyl on a good piece of equipment.

Many Thanks

Craig

In general £500 will buy you a better system vintage but it's more of a risk in that something may not be working at it's best and a lot of people pass off crap as good just because it's old, the same as the crap you can buy new if something was crap when it was made it's going to stay crap.

Where in London are you? I'm in Kent and might be able to help you out. PM me if you are interested

In general £500 will buy you a better system vintage but it's more of a risk in that something may not be working at it's best and a lot of people pass off crap as good just because it's old, the same as the crap you can buy new if something was crap when it was made it's going to stay crap.

Where in London are you? I'm in Kent and might be able to help you out. PM me if you are interested

Thank you very much for the reply i appreciate it. I am in south west, Teddington. I went to Richer Sounds and spoke to a gent there (very helpful) told him my situation and he pointed me in the direction of a turntable that you have to take the belt off depending on speed or something? (Excuse my lack of knowledge) I said i literally want it as easy as possible so he pointed me in the direction of a sony usb turntable which apparently is a good start off point (i may be wrong) its very cheap £129 it may be rubbish but i looked at reviews for it online and people seem pretty happy about it.

Thank you very much for the reply i appreciate it. I am in south west, Teddington. I went to Richer Sounds and spoke to a gent there (very helpful) told him my situation and he pointed me in the direction of a turntable that you have to take the belt off depending on speed or something? (Excuse my lack of knowledge) I said i literally want it as easy as possible so he pointed me in the direction of a sony usb turntable which apparently is a good start off point (i may be wrong) its very cheap £129 it may be rubbish but i looked at reviews for it online and people seem pretty happy about it.

Have a read of the beginners thread it's very long with lots of the same questions repeated by different people but it will be worth the read.

There are some basics on turntables and other hifi equipment buried in there that will be very helpful but basically there are some very good new turntables and variations on them have been around a good few years as vinyl was a niche product, but as it has grown in popularity a lot of companies have jumped on the bandwagon and are producing utter shit for a lot of money and some of those companies should really know better but of course they are in business to make money so if they can they will.

The first turntable he showed you will be a Project which is a perfectly good turntable but expensive and the 2nd the Sony will be cheap plastic rubbish.

I will send you a PM with some questions about what sort of thing you want and where you want to go with this hobby, have a look through it and if you answer the questions I should be able to put a system together for you that will fit your needs and your budget.

• 5 weeks later...