Question About My Turntable / Needle

I've got a pretty solid set of speakers / receiver (B&W CM8R's & a Music Fidelity M3i) and I know my turntable (Denon 300F) is the weakest link in the chain.  I just bought a house and won't have the money for a new table / phono pre-amp etc, for a while so I'd like to get a new cartridge in the mean time. 

Curious as to what people on here suggest.

EDIT : My budget is <200 and I have been looking into the Ortofon 2M Red Phono Cartridge

I appreciate any help

D

I'd suggest another step up in the Audio Technica range, the AT440MLa. It uses up all your budget, but it's a classic cart.

Scratch that, just saw that the 440MLb is discounted to $180. This is an upgraded version, worth every penny.

I have a 440mlb on the way (merry Christmas to me) and currently have a 95e. Very anxious to hear the difference.

Different sound signature, but still good, especially if they can sell it to you for under $200. If it was me though I'd probably choose the 440, a more balanced sound to my ears (the 2M can be too strong on the highs and too thin on the mids).

The Ortofon sound like a lot of brands is quite particular and you either like it or you don't, I'm with Slinch though the AT sound is a lot more neutral and balanced. The only other one I would suggest would be Grado but again this is a particular sound signature and one I myself like, Grado's though have a reputation for IGD which is down to user error when aligning them and nothing to do with the carts themselves but mud does stick

The Ortofon sound like a lot of brands is quite particular and you either like it or you don't, I'm with Slinch though the AT sound is a lot more neutral and balanced. The only other one I would suggest would be Grado but again this is a particular sound signature and one I myself like, Grado's though have a reputation for IGD which is down to user error when aligning them and nothing to do with the carts themselves but mud does stick

I quite enjoy the Grado sound, but they can be a pain to get set up correctly. The AT is much more forgiving, and does really really well for IGD. I'd go for an AT if you have never set-up a cartridge before. I'd see if your local shop can let you listen to a few things on a set-up similar to yours, and you can see which sound you like the best.

• 3 weeks later...