Weezer's Pinkerton only $0.00 on Demonoid store!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that buying a digital copy of anything is a scam, much like phone insurance. If someone wants to try and sue me for downloading an album, I'll probably have an outburst because I'm sitting in a room with thousands of dollars worth of music in it, legally bought hard copies much of it I wouldn't have even known about if I hadn't downloaded it first. So fuck 'em, eh?

haha i love people bitching. i have over 1000 cds and 100 LP's, so i spend way to much money in that shit. weezer have made more money than they'll ever need though, and i'm sure paying $1.99 for 128k MP3's that sound like shit gets the band maybe a dime. rest goes to amazon and the label. i would always download stuff on oink when it was up, and if i liked it i'd just give the band some money when i saw them and told them i grabbed it online. hell the know how would upload their own stuff to oink and kray. so would several other bands i had encountered, including the menzingers. indy bands make it on touring and selling merch, not selling cds. major bands, screw them. they have more than enough money as it is from touring and their labels. if they can make a site like oink that's pay, i'd pay $10 or $15 a month for 320/v0 mp3's. i can't see paying for the shit that all these download services offer though.

haha i love people bitching. i have over 1000 cds and 100 LP's, so i spend way to much money in that shit. weezer have made more money than they'll ever need though, and i'm sure paying $1.99 for 128k MP3's that sound like shit gets the band maybe a dime. rest goes to amazon and the label. i would always download stuff on oink when it was up, and if i liked it i'd just give the band some money when i saw them and told them i grabbed it online. hell the know how would upload their own stuff to oink and kray. so would several other bands i had encountered, including the menzingers. indy bands make it on touring and selling merch, not selling cds. major bands, screw them. they have more than enough money as it is from touring and their labels. if they can make a site like oink that's pay, i'd pay $10 or $15 a month for 320/v0 mp3's. i can't see paying for the shit that all these download services offer though.

Amazon and iTunes Plus are 256 kbps, which should be enough for anyone. emusic is V2 LAME, which should also be good enough for anyone.

Of course, I steal almost all of my digital music. But I think that the quality of the legal alternative is no longer an issue.

Indie bands take money from indie labels to cover recording costs and finance tours. By stealing recorded music, you're taking money out of the pockets of the people who helped the music of those bands move you.

Indie bands take money from indie labels to cover recording costs and finance tours. By stealing recorded music, you're taking money out of the pockets of the people who helped the music of those bands move you.

dude, you ever hear of trying before you buy? i really wish HORSE's 2nd album had leaked, because it blew. so did Blackout by the murphys. i have bought well over 1000 cds in the last 6 or 7 years, and over 100 LP's + 7"s in the last year. i buy a ton of shit. i buy a ton of shit i download first. so i don't need lectured about stealing from some poor musician on a message board by a guy who gets all his shit for free, on promo from said labels. i support any band i like, with the exception of streetlight becuase tony is a douche. and them, i gave money at a show and said it was for downloading the album, but i couldn't buy it because i fucking hate brummel.

dude, you ever hear of trying before you buy? i really wish HORSE's 2nd album had leaked, because it blew. so did Blackout by the murphys. i have bought well over 1000 cds in the last 6 or 7 years, and over 100 LP's + 7"s in the last year. i buy a ton of shit. i buy a ton of shit i download first. so i don't need lectured about stealing from some poor musician on a message board by a guy who gets all his shit for free, on promo from said labels. i support any band i like, with the exception of streetlight becuase tony is a douche. and them, i gave money at a show and said it was for downloading the album, but i couldn't buy it because i fucking hate brummel.

I'm not lecturing, I'm laying out facts. I'm not saying you don't buy music, either; if you're bothered by what I wrote (which was pretty non-threatening), maybe a part of you knows what you're doing is wrong -- morally, legally, whatever.

The argument of "trying before you buy" is absurd in this day and age when every label puts up one or two MP3s from a record for free download, bands put up 4-6 songs for streaming on their MySpace/PureVolume, there's music videos on YouTube, e-cards with a handful of tunes, song clips on Amazon/iTunes, full-album streams through AOL/Punknews/MySpace/etc. etc. etc.; people who use the "I like to try before I buy" excuse are just lying to themselves. If you're going to steal, at least own up to it and stop trying to downlplay what it is you're doing.

Ask any independent record label owner, myself included: Illegal downloading hurts the labels AND the bands. I put out the Ryan's Hope record two years ago, and to date, it's SoundScanned 1,261 copies. I think it's a fantastic record, and so do most people I play it for. Unfortunately, since the band's SoundScans are so low, they routinely get passed over for tours in favor of other bands with a more proven sales record. If every person who downloaded the Ryan's Hope album illegally actually bought a copy of it, I think that SoundScan number would be 10 times as large as it is now and it would directly help the band get on tours and get their music out there to more people.

Yes, downloading hurts everyone -- even the consumer. Why do you think ticket prices for shows have gone up? Bands know you're stealing from them, so they make up the money in other ways. Unfortunately, that still leaves the label -- who finances the band and is the reason the records you love so much exist -- in the lurch.

Fuck, man. Stop illegal downloading. It's one of the most selfish things someone can do in regards to music.

Amazon and iTunes Plus are 256 kbps, which should be enough for anyone. emusic is V2 LAME, which should also be good enough for anyone.

Of course, I steal almost all of my digital music. But I think that the quality of the legal alternative is no longer an issue.

rofl.

if you seriously think 256k is good enough quality for anyone, then you really are iTune's target audience of people dumb enough to pay for digital media.

am i listening to it through laptop speakers or Grado RS-1's?

and i will take that challenge.

And in any case why is it acceptable to get the media at any sort of loss? what other sort of product out there can you openly say is at a poorer quality and still have people buy? Why support laziness from labels. in 20 years, is everything going to be sold at the most cost efficient manner with no regard to quality of the product? you might not have a problem with that, but i do. and i refuse to support it.

Would you still pay $20+ for a new movie that was recorded off a handycam then burned to DVD?

Dont act like im the illogical one for expecting the products i buy to be of the highest quality. Thats why i buy vinyl. The sound quality. it doesnt matter if i can tell the difference or not. Its the principle of the thing. Labels and outlets are just trying to see how far they can go, how little product they need to actually make and still have people buy. and its fucking stupid.

If digital media was present at a completely lossless audio quality, i might consider it. But there are still many more reasons out there why i will always choose physical media over digital.