Subwoofer Advice

Recently bought a PM8004 and while it sounds fantastically clear I feel it's lacking in the bass department. In the meantime while I save for some bigger speakers I was thinking of buying a cheap subwoofer on CL. There is one on there that is powered with volume control and 1 input. No low pass filter.

My question, if I run a mono cable from the pre-out on the PM8004 to the sub without any EQ is this going to be worth it or a waste of my time

Thanks

Cheap subs in general are a waste of time.  If bass is lacking, it's most likely due to your speakers.  

I have the same amp and originally used it with Monitor Audio RX1 speakers.  For funsies I hooked up the matching Monitor Audio RXW-12 subwoofer.  There was definitely more bass presence but otherwise, it didn't do much for me.

I would just put the $ toward your speaker upgrade.

IF you decide to proceed, you will need a sub with a crossover.

Cheap subs in general are a waste of time. If bass is lacking, it's most likely due to your speakers.

I have the same amp and originally used it with Monitor Audio RX1 speakers. For funsies I hooked up the matching Monitor Audio RXW-12 subwoofer. There was definitely more bass presence but otherwise, it didn't do much for me.

I would just put the $ toward your speaker upgrade.

IF you decide to proceed, you will need a sub with a crossover.

Thanks Tard! You mentioned you originally used it with the Monitor Audio RX1. What speakers are you using today?

Thanks Tard! You mentioned you originally used it with the Monitor Audio RX1. What speakers are you using today?

currently using Monitor Audio RX8s purchased on Craig's List for around $700.

Though I should mention that I could have easily stuck with the RX1s and not really been missing out on any bass.

I'd be shocked if it's the amp. What speakers are you using?

I've got a set of Velodyne LD2 from craigslist. Never been too impressed with them but switching to the PM8004 i've noticed a drop off in bass so I don't know. I was using a shitty old Yamaha stereo receiver before, RX-360

are you sure you're actually missing bass? Or is it just a boomy sound your old receiver made to approximate bass? A lot of people have been trained to expect that noise instead of the actual intended sound of honest bass.

Another question that comes to mind is how you have the treble/mid/bass controls set.  I typically use the Source Direct mode to bypass the tone control, but if you want to dial in more bass, you can try turning Source Direct off and dialing in more bass to see if it makes a difference.

If you do get a subwoofer you would ideally have one with crossover control on the back of it and not just a gain knob so you can set it accordingly with the appropriate frequency response of your speakers, since the pm8004 doesn't have any crossover setting.

Although I do agree you may just be hearing the actual limitation of your speakers, and nothing to do with the amp. The LD2 only go to 85Hz so I wouldn't expect them to sound especially bass-y

If you do get a subwoofer you would ideally have one with crossover control on the back of it and not just a gain knob so you can set it accordingly with the appropriate frequency response of your speakers, since the pm8004 doesn't have any crossover setting.

Although I do agree you may just be hearing the actual limitation of your speakers, and nothing to do with the amp. The LD2 only go to 85Hz so I wouldn't expect them to sound especially bass-y

Only 85Hz?! Jesus. There's your bass issue. Hell my Veneres are weak bass at 50Hz. I was too spoiled by my VR3s with 35Hz.

Are you sure your speakers are actually located correctly? or is the room sucking up all the bass?

As Tardcore said the old Yammy might just have been fooling you where the Marantz is trying to do it properly

Try moving the speakers around, further away from walls and then nearer to them both front and side

I think you all have exposed the issue here with the speakers. I'm finding out the expense of growing a decent system the hard way as each component I upgrade is exposing new issues with my existing weak links. I knew this was an expensive hobby, but i'm really starting to feel it now  :). I'm only smiling so I don't cry. On to new speakers we gooooooooooo

I think you all have exposed the issue here with the speakers. I'm finding out the expense of growing a decent system the hard way as each component I upgrade is exposing new issues with my existing weak links. I knew this was an expensive hobby, but i'm really starting to feel it now :). I'm only smiling so I don't cry. On to new speakers we gooooooooooo

I'm not as opposed to subwoofers as others on this forum are... My current speakers go down to 45Hz and I still use a sub with them, granted its mostly for home theater use as an application but I still think a 2.1 system for music with better components is a better alternative than getting cheap tower speakers that may look better on a spec sheet that in reality may not sound as good.. Basically if you like the way your velodynes sound outside of bass performance, a matching sub probably isn't a terrible idea as opposed to getting all new speakers entirely

Considering Velodyne is so geared towards subwoofers, I can't imagine those speakers weren't designed to be used with a corresponding sub. No way they'd put out a pair of speakers with a crossover that only goes down to 85Hz. I mean, I have a pair of those cheap ass Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelves in my bedroom and those get down to 55Hz with a 4" woofer.

Another question that comes to mind is how you have the treble/mid/bass controls set. I typically use the Source Direct mode to bypass the tone control, but if you want to dial in more bass, you can try turning Source Direct off and dialing in more bass to see if it makes a difference.

I am bypassing source direct as that setting sounds even thinner. I have the bass at 10, Mid at a 4 and Treb at 5. With that setting I would expect a very thick sound but that is not the case. I don't normally ride the bass at a 10 but I am forced right now to keep this thing from sounding like an AM radio

I'm not as opposed to subwoofers as others on this forum are... My current speakers go down to 45Hz and I still use a sub with them, granted its mostly for home theater use as an application but I still think a 2.1 system for music with better components is a better alternative than getting cheap tower speakers that may look better on a spec sheet that in reality may not sound as good.. Basically if you like the way your velodynes sound outside of bass performance, a matching sub probably isn't a terrible idea as opposed to getting all new speakers entirely

MATCHING sub is the operative word.  He originally mentioned just picking up a cheap sub.  I'm pretty confident that just grabbing a rando subwoofer for $50 or whatever isn't going to be as good a solution as releasing the Velodynes back into the used market and picking up something that covers a fuller range.

Ok, first off, thanks to everyone for the help on this. I can confirm it was in fact the speakers themselves and not the wiring. I hooked up another set from my garage today and, my god, bass galore. Turns out my last shitty receiver was just putting out rumble that resembled bass and the PM8004 just tightened it up revealing the flaws of my LD2s.

Now onto the next topic. I prefer pretty heavy bass. Good speaker recommendations to pair with the PM8004 that handle bass well? 3-400 range and preferably large bookshelf size.

Thanks again everyone

depends on which diamonds...I would go with the 10.1s (old) or the new version (I think it's 220?) over the Def Techs.

I have owned:

Def Tech 350s (good)

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s (better)

Monitor Audio RX1 (best)

You can still get a pair of RX1s for around $3-350 if you keep a sharp eye out.