Subwoofer Advice

Did ajxd sell his definitive technology bookshelves from a while back? Decent bass on those bad boys.

Any chance there is a hifi shop near you for you to demo some different brand/models out?

Never did, but now I have a big boy job again...so they are back in bedroom setup. Until I replace the SFs with another floor standing speaker.

Also I'm adding a sub... I'm holding out for a Def Tech SuperCube used that I'm talks with... OR

http://www.svsound.com/collections/sealed-subwoofers/products/sb-1000

I want something small and sealed.

pshhhh

http://www.amazon.com/SVS-PC-2000-Controlled-Cylinder-Subwoofer/dp/B00R7POG2E

x2

I agree, no need for ports with music, I would avoid that for sure.

I have two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-SUBcompact-Subwoofer-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0021AERB0

41gNjU0f4dL.jpg

Ugly and small and the basketball is not included, but they put out plenty of clean, detailed bass. I snatched a pair off ebay for right around $300 a few years ago but they're more scarce now. For comparison, I also have a HSU Research sub for the TV which is great for movies, but these little cubes destroy it in a music setup. Someday I'd like to build a DIY version of something like this from Rythmik

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine gave me an old broken sub to tinker with (Polk Audio PSW110) and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Speaker looks great but the powered sub makes demon noises when plugged or unplugged. Found a guy on YouTube with the same issue and you can hear the noise here

Any help is appreciated since I'd like to use this until I can get my hands on some decent speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, first off, thanks to everyone for the help on this. I can confirm it was in fact the speakers themselves and not the wiring. I hooked up another set from my garage today and, my god, bass galore. Turns out my last shitty receiver was just putting out rumble that resembled bass and the PM8004 just tightened it up revealing the flaws of my LD2s.

Now onto the next topic. I prefer pretty heavy bass. Good speaker recommendations to pair with the PM8004 that handle bass well? 3-400 range and preferably large bookshelf size.

Thanks again everyone

I bought a used pair of JBL L830 bookshelf speakers for $275. They go low, have great stereo separation, and are built like tanks. Each speaker weighs 25lbs. They are quite excellent.