Dealing with dust

So I bought a Project Essential 2 and am loving the upgrade from my toy ion profile usb, sound quality is incredible; it's like a new life to all of my LPs.

One thing I've noticed is the amount of dust this thing collects. I mean it's incredible because the ion was no where near like this. It's now affecting the quality of the playback, being incredibly fuzzy and sounding worse than the ion. I literally have a ball of fluff on the cartridge after every side of an LP, which can't be doing it good.

Does anyone else notice this, and what are you doing about it? Besides keeping the room as clean as possible and regularly dusting the area (with the tonearm fixed and cartridge protector on) are there any dummy things I'm missing here?!

Thanks

Get a carbon fiber brush, and brush your records off before each play. Also invest in a good stylus cleaner, to keep it dust and dirt free. Does the Essential 2 have a dust cover?

Get a carbon fiber brush, and brush your records off before each play. Also invest in a good stylus cleaner, to keep it dust and dirt free. Does the Essential 2 have a dust cover?

yea got the dust cover with it, and always place when playing/not using. I've just read about the stylus brush, and record cleaner. Purchased now, thanks for advice.

enjoy your journey into the glamorous and exciting world of vinyl cleaning and maintenance.

you should spend some time reading up on different hand-cleaning practices (covered ad-nauseum here and elsewhere) and possibly consider investing in a spin-clean machine.

if you really decide to commit yourself to record nerdery, the recommended end game is generally a vacuum cleaning machine of some sort (probably an Okki Nokki there in not-America).

Wow I was wondering if there is some sort of record hoover, looks pretty interesting.

It's about time I do something because I've been using the records for about 5 years without doing anything to them.

That cow-catcher they call a stylus on your Ion probably ground quite a bit of crud into the grooves.

is the cartridge new on your project ? as the stylus tip wears out over time it digs deeper into the records grooves and thus digs out any muck and dust that may be hiding there. a new stylus tip is basically a V shape - over time and lots of vinyl playing the sides of this V wear out making the angle of the V more acute. one of the first tell tales of a worn stylus before the sound goes off is the ball of dust half way through a side. 

as your previous stylus on the ion was basically a heap of shit its been churning up your records and depositing muck at the bottom of the grooves.

Wipe the dust off as the LP spins with the CF brush. Let the LP spin as you slowly turn the inner side of the brush toward the outside of the LP and gently drag the brush across and off the edge of the LP. At no time should the LP slow down to your weight pushing down on the platter. Be gentle!

Also, get a Magic Sponge and using your cue lever, gently lower your stylus on to the DRY Magic Sponge a few times (obviously without the platter spinning). Keeps your stylus dust free as well, and it sounds like yours is dirty!

Also, wash your records before playing for the first time on your turntable. Just grab a Spin Clean (about $60).

The stylus just drags all the gunk from the grooves and ruins your experience if the LPs aren't clean.

Sleeves-

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Fidelity-Inner-Sleeves-50Pk/dp/B001LQSFKY

You could also check out an acrylic mat. Mine cut down on static a ton, by far the biggest difference maker I've tried so far-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400439158319?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

If you go the acrylic mat route at some point, I'd suggest a clamp or weight though, as they don't have any grip. Souther clever clamp can be had for cheap- http://www.needledoctor.com/Souther-Clever-Clamp

Good luck!

Ahh I see they are the ones with the thin plastic inner sleeve. I've got a few of those with the TMR records stuff, and wondered why. Will get some, thanks.

Also that slipmat looks like a great idea too.

Thanks for the advice!!

covers33 if you are in the UK.

http://www.covers33.co.uk/

Not sure where you are in the UK but they do sell them at the record fairs where they do quantity deals. I get them from the Spittlefields market fair and the ones in Kent where I pay £18 for 100.

He does them in both black and white which can be useful and he does the nice thick outer sleeves as well.

• 2 weeks later...

covers33 if you are in the UK.

http://www.covers33.co.uk/

Not sure where you are in the UK but they do sell them at the record fairs where they do quantity deals. I get them from the Spittlefields market fair and the ones in Kent where I pay £18 for 100.

He does them in both black and white which can be useful and he does the nice thick outer sleeves as well.

Sick man, I'll head up to spitafields at the weekend and grab a bunch.