Just got a Sansui 1000A

Hey so I picked this up from my Grandfather's house (it was my Great Grandfather's) and I can't really test it since I don't have speakers that'll work right now and not really sure what to look for. Is there a easy way to tell if a tube is still good without a tester? I've read a little online and from what I can tell I'm going to need to set the bias on the 4 power amps since one of them glows red hot when I turn it on (quickly turned it off :L) and if I do need to buy some new tubes is there a website you suggest? there's a Hi Fi shop near me so I might check that out too.

Starting ANY amp without speakers plugged in is a bad idea.

Might be a good idea to take it to a professional before you burn your house down.

Alright, that's a good thing to know. I'll see if I can get some quotes from the local Hi Fi shops and see if I can afford a full service (I mean I didn't spend anything on it so whatever it is will be how much I spent on it) 

If it hasn't got self adjusting bias it will need a proper service by someone who knows what they are doing and I expect some new valves and capacitors. To be honest I expect it needs a service full stop.

Also if any valve equipment hasn't been started in a good while you shouldn't just switch it on as everything needs to come up slowly, I usually start them using a thing called a Variac which is a a variable mains transformer, if you don't you can cause a lot of damage as the large electrolytic's wont be doing their job and that large inrush just fries stuff

I'm normally the first to say to people have a go with stuff but valve amplification has some very nasty and very fatal voltages inside so if you don't know what you are doing leave it to someone who does.

You could quite easily electrocute yourself and it will be very hard for someone to give CPR whilst your in a burning house.

If it hasn't got self adjusting bias it will need a proper service by someone who knows what they are doing and I expect some new valves and capacitors. To be honest I expect it needs a service full stop.

Also if any valve equipment hasn't been started in a good while you shouldn't just switch it on as everything needs to come up slowly, I usually start them using a thing called a Variac which is a a variable mains transformer, if you don't you can cause a lot of damage as the large electrolytic's wont be doing their job and that large inrush just fries stuff

I'm normally the first to say to people have a go with stuff but valve amplification has some very nasty and very fatal voltages inside so if you don't know what you are doing leave it to someone who does.

You could quite easily electrocute yourself and it will be very hard for someone to give CPR whilst your in a burning house.

Yeah it's probably been 15-20 years since it was in use, I'll shop around and see what people are charging to do a full service but do you have an idea on how much it'll set me back?

Not really sorry but balance it against the value and rarity of the thing and how sweet it will sound when it's right. The sound of a good valve amp is difficult to beat and very addictive.

in your case it's also a family heirloom so that's got to add some value.

Oh yeah I mean what ever it costs is going to be 100% worth it (I got it for free so even with the service I doubt it'll cost as much as getting anything else worth a damn) as I can't ever imagine replacing it with something else or getting rid of it. especially since it's been in the family and has been around the world when my great grandfather was in the army (that's why it's got the original box and styro to make it easy to move).

My granddad had speakers to go with it but there wasn't space in the car (we brought home an arcade cab) so next trip I'll have some Sansui speakers to match it, I'll get some temp speakers for now and as far as a turntable goes I don't have anything nice so for now I'll be using a linear tracking model until I can get something nicer :L

What model Sansui?

It's a Sansui 1000A, It's from the late 60's.

Also updates: My uncle had a tube tester so I tested all the tubes and all but one of the 12AU7's seem fine. And I called my local Hi-Fi place and they said that servicing it can start at $130ish but obviously the more tubes and capacitors ect. they have to replace the more it's going to be and that they wont know until they get into it.

Your main problem with this amp won't be the the tubes, it's going to be dried electrolytic caps and/or faulty or drifted components.  The odds are, the preamp tubes (the small ones) are fine.  The power tubes are probably cathode biased which tend to run hot and might need to be replaced.  I'd suggest JJ brand 7591A's.  You should really take it to a tech.

Your main problem with this amp won't be the the tubes, it's going to be dried electrolytic caps and/or faulty or drifted components.  The odds are, the preamp tubes (the small ones) are fine.  The power tubes are probably cathode biased which tend to run hot and might need to be replaced.  I'd suggest JJ brand 7591A's.  You should really take it to a tech.

Yeah I checked out a place near me yesterday thats super cool so I'll hand it off to them once I have the money for it since they know what they're doing.