4th press of nofx's maximum rockandroll ?

yeah there's a new pressing, it's on clear. here's the topic on the wiki: http://www.nofxwiki.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8859

the records will be available from june 10th i guess, so nobody's got it yet and that's why there aint no pics on the wiki yet.

edit: revhq doods are ok? i've never bought anything there.

why you say this?

Doug Moody is a thief, and does not pay royalties to the bands yours buying up. Not only that, he's pretty much screwed several of his acts. Namely RKL the worst.

That has been the pretty generic impression amongst the people but having worked with the man the past few years (I do all the Mystic artwork and pretty much make it possible for the old man to release anything these days as he's old and can't do it all by himself) and having seen a lot of the agreements that were signed by these bands (the old man has saved every piece of paper pretty much in the history of the label dating back to way before he started recording punk bands), he did not rip them off. All the bands agreements were that they were paid in "product" (ie: copies of their records) and not to be paid in cash.

Over the years that have passed, people died, people moved, etc. If any band that has been on mystic and has had their stuff reissued, if anyone from those bands gets in touch, Doug always sends them CDs. Dr. Know is a pretty prime example as Doug has given them product to sell and keep the money from on their last few tours. I think I can count on one hand the number of people from the old days that stayed in touch with Doug and those that have, received plenty of stuff from him in the past few years (Big Bob from Agression is a good example of this).

I have nearly lost count of how many former Mystic bands have gotten in touch with me complaining about how "doug ripped me off and didnt' ask permission" only to be thanking me for putting them in touch with the old man after he sends them a box of CDs. The dude is 79 years old, he's not that internet savvy to be able to track down the hundreds of bands who didnt' send in change of address cards in case he happens to reissue their records on a CD or vinyl 20+ years later.

So it's not really fair to mimic the statements of bitter old punkers whose memories didn't stand up too well thru years of drug and alcohol abuse, or repeat something you read in some old fanzines from two decades ago unless you get both sides of the story, or read the actual agreements that were signed. Unless you were there, or are privy to seeing the actual signed contracts, you don't know who got ripped off or not. the old man encourages all former mystic band members to get in touch and if they have gripes he tries to make peace with them and make them happy.

As an example of how the man isn't the shady bastard he's often painted out to be, a couple years ago when I lost my job, Doug sent me a box of over 1000 dollars worth of Mystic CDs and some vinyl for me to sell in my mailorder and keep all the money so I would be able to stay afloat for awhile while trying to find a new job. He also just donated some stuff for the Mike Connoly (MIA singer who died) benefit fundraiser and MIA wasn't even a band that ever appeared on a Mystic record, someone from Love Canal (who recorded exactly 1 song for a compilation on Mystic) asked him if he would contribute and he did. That is hardly the act of some greedy rip off artist.

I'm not saying the man is perfect, some things slip thru the cracks, but he always tries to make amends to those that have if they get in touch.

And regarding the NOFX, there has been more than 4 pressings of it in the last 20 years. This new pressing sees the cover reverting back to the proper skull on the front (something I fought for quite vehemently since I started working with him) and is pressed on clear vinyl. I forget how many Doug said they pressed, I think it was 500 and not 300 but either way they likely won't last long. I have a pretty hefty list of covers and labels to lay out for upcoming vinyl releases, a lot of cool old stuff will be getting the color vinyl reissue treatment this year.

I think he's including The Album in that too.

Yeah, originally the NOFX LP was just called "the album". It came on black, green, and purple/grayish marble vinyl (i am looking for a copy of this one actually).

then it came on black vinyl again (different labels).

then it came on cd as maximumrocknroll with that really ugly cover with the photo of fat mike and the stuff that was taken from the MRR with his interview in it. Tim Yo gave Doug permissoin to use that stuff for the CD by the way. I understood Doug's reasoning behind making that cover, but goddamn the thing was shitty looking.

then it was pressed up as a LP with that crappy cover. there was supposed to be 2000 pressed, but doug found a ton of sleeves last year which is how the gray vinyl (black/white marble) came to be. he found something like 500-800 sleeves and recalls only ever printing 2000 covers of the ugly cover, which would actually make the black vinyl totalling about 1000 -1200 copies. However I think he is forgetting a run about 10 years ago in there of likely 1000.

Now the crappy covers are gone, and it is back to having the skull cover, but still being called MRR and having the shitty Fat Mike photo on the backside instead. I am not calling fat mike shitty, i just think that photo sucks. Anyway it's a much better cover than it used to be.

So to summarize:

The Album:

green

purple/gray marble

black

black

MRR:

Black

Black (possibly and most likely)

black/white marble

Clear (new cover)

and for those who follow the shitty plastic coasters (CDs) there are 3 variations for it, two with the MRR cover, one with a skull cover saying MRR on the bottom (and off a new master which is about 2% louder) and soon to be an updated cover to be more like the current LP (which will be run when the existing stock of CDs is depleted and it needs to be run again).

Doug Moody is a thief, and does not pay royalties to the bands yours buying up. Not only that, he's pretty much screwed several of his acts. Namely RKL the worst.

That has been the pretty generic impression amongst the people but having worked with the man the past few years (I do all the Mystic artwork and pretty much make it possible for the old man to release anything these days as he's old and can't do it all by himself) and having seen a lot of the agreements that were signed by these bands (the old man has saved every piece of paper pretty much in the history of the label dating back to way before he started recording punk bands), he did not rip them off. All the bands agreements were that they were paid in "product" (ie: copies of their records) and not to be paid in cash.

Over the years that have passed, people died, people moved, etc. If any band that has been on mystic and has had their stuff reissued, if anyone from those bands gets in touch, Doug always sends them CDs. Dr. Know is a pretty prime example as Doug has given them product to sell and keep the money from on their last few tours. I think I can count on one hand the number of people from the old days that stayed in touch with Doug and those that have, received plenty of stuff from him in the past few years (Big Bob from Agression is a good example of this).

I have nearly lost count of how many former Mystic bands have gotten in touch with me complaining about how "doug ripped me off and didnt' ask permission" only to be thanking me for putting them in touch with the old man after he sends them a box of CDs. The dude is 79 years old, he's not that internet savvy to be able to track down the hundreds of bands who didnt' send in change of address cards in case he happens to reissue their records on a CD or vinyl 20+ years later.

So it's not really fair to mimic the statements of bitter old punkers whose memories didn't stand up too well thru years of drug and alcohol abuse, or repeat something you read in some old fanzines from two decades ago unless you get both sides of the story, or read the actual agreements that were signed. Unless you were there, or are privy to seeing the actual signed contracts, you don't know who got ripped off or not. the old man encourages all former mystic band members to get in touch and if they have gripes he tries to make peace with them and make them happy.

As an example of how the man isn't the shady bastard he's often painted out to be, a couple years ago when I lost my job, Doug sent me a box of over 1000 dollars worth of Mystic CDs and some vinyl for me to sell in my mailorder and keep all the money so I would be able to stay afloat for awhile while trying to find a new job. He also just donated some stuff for the Mike Connoly (MIA singer who died) benefit fundraiser and MIA wasn't even a band that ever appeared on a Mystic record, someone from Love Canal (who recorded exactly 1 song for a compilation on Mystic) asked him if he would contribute and he did. That is hardly the act of some greedy rip off artist.

I'm not saying the man is perfect, some things slip thru the cracks, but he always tries to make amends to those that have if they get in touch.

And regarding the NOFX, there has been more than 4 pressings of it in the last 20 years. This new pressing sees the cover reverting back to the proper skull on the front (something I fought for quite vehemently since I started working with him) and is pressed on clear vinyl. I forget how many Doug said they pressed, I think it was 500 and not 300 but either way they likely won't last long. I have a pretty hefty list of covers and labels to lay out for upcoming vinyl releases, a lot of cool old stuff will be getting the color vinyl reissue treatment this year.

This is why he saw fit to have a special Doug Moody autographed version of Best of RKL. Just rubbing it in. Not only that, he releases the best of using the Keep Laughing cover. Both dick moves.

Actually he saw fit to do a signed one at the request of his main distributor. It had absolutely NOTHING do to with RKL or the past. I'm pretty sure all the members of RKL have passed away so they couldn't sign it, nor does the man harbor ill will toward the deceased. In fact he's not a vindictive guy. The distributor had the idea for a signed "collectible" line of records and that is how it came to be.

And as for the cover art, I didn't do that particular one and since the original films and materials were gone, he used the CD artwork for best of RKL when he had to get new LP jackets printed, which was a better graphic anyway and was the sole reason he made that decision. Again, "rubbing it in" wasn't at all the thought process and not once entered his mind.

Where do you come up with these grand conspiracy theories? You keep speculating and perhaps inventing these things and I am telling you direct from the source as the sole other person responsible for Mystic Records these days what the real facts are.

This is why he saw fit to have a special Doug Moody autographed version of Best of RKL. Just rubbing it in. Not only that, he releases the best of using the Keep Laughing cover. Both dick moves.

I really don't see what the big deal is that he used the Keep Laughing cover. I mean, it might as well just be the Keep Laughing album with the rest of the tracks as bonus tracks or something instead of saying "Best Of", but whatever. It's a great album...the best of Nardcore to me.

Oh yeah, and the Punk Vault might just be one of my favorite sites on the internet.

MXV, I always considered Maximum Rocknroll and The Album as two different releases. The album is just a collection of both the S/T 7" and So What 7", while Maximum Rocknroll has 8 songs more.

Also the Maximum Rocknroll CD also has label variations.

You might be able to explain something to us though - for the S/T 7" and the So What 7". We think that the pressing info we have for black vinyl is correct, but that he printed different covers with different inner sleeves at different times for the same pressing.

How would you explain that the same record can be seen with 4 different """artwork""" on the inner sleeves? (for example, superseven s/t comes with a blank inner, a maximum rocknroll CD ad probably dating 1992, a 1986 mystic catalog, and a 4th one i can't remember)

It's pretty much the same for So What If We're On Mystic!

Oh and about the Maximum Rocknroll sleeves, beign 2000 pressed, I don't quite understand how that can be because Moody told us that there were 500 pressed on black in 2000, and 500 on grey wax in 2006. I don't think anyone else on the NOFX Wiki has ever seen a different pressing, and I think by now we've seen pretty much everything. Unless the pressing looks exactly the same as the 2000 one.

I don't know. It's about principal and not contracts. His little one page contract was a shame. Also, we are just speaking about vinyl, and how many VINYL copies he has sold. This does not take into account the mad income from CD sales. We can go at it until i'm still blue in the face. I realize that Doug was an important part of the punk scene, but he also could've been a GOD in the punk scene....he is not. He's a sketchy old man that screwed kids. If he had so many "gold" albums before his punk days, then he for SURE knows about complicated things such as record contracts, yet he had only one page contracts.....for a reason.