MMF 7.3 vs Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB

Alright guys...I'm in the market for a new TT and starting to suffer from choice paralysis.

Currently, I'm leaning towards either the MMF 7.3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze or the Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB with one of the Sumiko carts.

I'm upgrading from an MMF 2.2. The amp is a Marantz 2235B, the preamp is  DB-8 and I can't remember what model they are, but I have some older Klipsch tower speakers.

Anyone have any thoughts as to which of these may be a better choice? Should I be looking at something different in the same price range?

I am intrigued by that Marantz acrylic TT everyone has been praising, but not gonna lie...I'm not sure it's something I want to look at every day.

I know, I know, I'm buying something to listen to, not look at.

1 hour ago, slinch said:

also, did you just say it is the hardest to look at? That's a first. :blink:

There's something about the light color that I don't love. It's not that I find it ugly, it's almost like to me it's lacking some "weight" visually.

That being said, I think you're right that it's the best option.

I'll tell you this 1) I gave you a reputation to give you 666. And will give you plenty of negatives to keep you there. 2) The Marantz TT-15S1 is more stunning in person. Go to a Best
Buy and look in person if you haven't. 3) You'll want to upgrade from your Marantz 2235B. Also why not use the preamp in the Marantz 2235B?

But really, bang for you buck, the Marantz crushes all. The Satisfy tonearm? The Virtuoso cart? Seriously. No other choice for $1k.

1 minute ago, ajxd said:

1) I gave you a reputation to give you 666. And will give you plenty of negatives to keep you there.

I appreciate this very much!

1 minute ago, ajxd said:

2) The Marantz TT-15S1 is more stunning in person. Go to a Best Buy and look in person if you haven't.

I'm guessing this is the case. It's probably the white on white background.

2 minutes ago, ajxd said:

You'll want to upgrade from your Marantz 2235B. Also why not use the preamp in the Marantz 2235B?

One day I will, and I'm only not using the Marantz preamp because like a jackass, when I bought it, I didn't test the phono input and it doesn't work.

Lesson learned. Do you think there's a good reason to not stick with vintage amps, or is it just that I would be better served by something with a bit more power?

3 minutes ago, ajxd said:

But really, bang for you buck, the Marantz crushes all. The Satisfy tonearm? The Virtuoso cart? Seriously. No other choice for $1k.

I appreciate the input from you both.

The trigger has been pulled!

On 27.5.2016 at 3:40 PM, Metal Mike said:

There's something about the light color that I don't love. It's not that I find it ugly, it's almost like to me it's lacking some "weight" visually.

That being said, I think you're right that it's the best option.

Looks are important and if you don't like the look, maybe you better buy something else. You are probably aware that the Marantz TT is manufactured by Clearaudio, so why not check out their line of products, i.e. this one:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-12767-clearaudio-concept-turntable-with-verify-tonearm.aspx

The only "complaint" I have had with my turntable is that it didn't come with a dust cover.  But I knew that going in.

I kicked around DIY options and ended up just getting one from a shop in Portland.  I think there are cheaper options on eBay, but this one was more heavy duty.

http://echohifi.com/details/6707/Echo-Audio_Dust-Cover

4 hours ago, DCF said:

Looks are important and if you don't like the look, maybe you better buy something else. You are probably aware that the Marantz TT is manufactured by Clearaudio, so why not check out their line of products, i.e. this one:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-12767-clearaudio-concept-turntable-with-verify-tonearm.aspx

No where near as good as the Marantz package. Marantz has a better arm, better cart, better feet, just better all around. And the Marantz is way cheaper! C'mon son.

19 hours ago, ajxd said:

No where near as good as the Marantz package. Marantz has a better arm, better cart, better feet, just better all around. And the Marantz is way cheaper! C'mon son.

Nobody can deny the fact that the Marantz offers better value. But if someone simply doesn't like it, the Clearaudio Concept might be a viable alternative. The price is almost the same (at least at musicdirect). The cartridge of the Marantz is undeniably way better, really totally another league. The influence of arm or feet is much more debatable.

• 3 weeks later...