Upgrade Experience: Ortofon 2M Red Phono -----> Ortofon 2M Blue Phono

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences upgrading from the Ortofon 2M Red Phono Cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge. I feel like this is a common step up from those who have the 2M Red Cartridge, so I was hoping someone could shine light on noticeable differences they experienced upon upgrading. Probably won't be upgrading soon as my 2M still has a lot of life left, but never to early to start looking into viable upgrades. 

Thanks! 

Edited by olopez6919

On July 21, 2016 at 3:17 PM, BitLess said:

I upgraded from the Red to the Blue, and it was a big improvement. One piece of advice: don't replace the whole cartridge, just buy the Blue stylus. The Red and Blue cartridges are exactly the same.

Does anyone happen to know if the Red and Bronze cartridges are the same as well? Would I be able to buy the Bronze stylus if I'm upgrading from Red or would I have to replace the whole cartridge?? 

11 minutes ago, olopez6919 said:

Does anyone happen to know if the Red and Bronze cartridges are the same as well? Would I be able to buy the Bronze stylus if I'm upgrading from Red or would I have to replace the whole cartridge?? 

They are different. The bronze and black stylus does not fit the red and blue. 

Actually you can fit a Bronze or Black stylus on the Red/Blue cart. However, the cart body on the Bronze/Black are different from the Red/Blue body, you need the Bronze/Back cartridge to get the full performance of those styli. There is a review of the full 2M line here, including putting the high-end stylus on the lower-end carts:

http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/7/13_Upgrading_to_the_Ortofon_2M_Red_or_Blue.html

http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/7/28_Upgrading_to_the_Ortofon_2M_Bronze_or_Black.html