NHL - Offseason

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I read, goalie equipment changes won't take place until 2009-10.

I don't care what they do with the goalie equipment just as long as the don't make the net bigger. That was one of the worst ideas I heard.

Totally agreed. Another change I was hearing some things about was some kind of limitation to the defensive traffic in front of the net. Not sure how you would pull that off but I certainly think its a good line of thinking. I can stand teams who just stack 5 guys down low and block shots all night. Almost nothing more boring.

a second seems high just for negotiation rights, but I guess that's how the landscape is changing. I'd love to see Malone in a Canucks uniform though, we desperately need that kind of grit and skill in our top-6.

It is steep, but so is the paycheck he's going to get. I love Malone, but people are vastly overpaying that guy.

holy shit, check this....

It appears the Ryan Malone sweepstakes are down to Columbus and Minnesota. According to a source close to the situation, Malones agent Mike Liut has indicated he is willing to work out a deal with both teams but Malones preference is Minnesota. At this moment Columbus appears to be the likely landing spot, who at the end of the day will offer their 2nd round pick. I have received word that Minnesota is offering LW Stephane Veilleux and a draft pick. From what I've been hearing, the draft pick is not a first or 2nd. The Wild do not have a 3rd round pick. My sources have not ruled out Minnesota from increasing their offer. Quick sidenote, I received a email from someone who told me to tell viewers of my site to look on PittsburghPenguins.com and check out the two players (Hossa & Orpik) who are front and center on the #1 article

Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch is reporting A trade could be struck for Ryan Malone either today or Wednesday. My sources indicate the Penguins are also talking to the Edmonton Oilers, Minnesota Wild, Vancouver Canucks and Phoenix Coyotes. Columbus has offered their third round pick for Malone. Shero is believed to be looking to net a 2nd round pick for Malone. The Penguins have also shown an interest in acquiring Dan Fritsche but he was not part of the talks yesterday. Vancouver and Phoenix have not made offers as of right now. Minnesota is expected to make a strong pitch to Ryan Malone if enters free agency but now that Columbus is making a push to acquire his rights, the Wild are now in the bidding. The Wild are believed to have offered LW Stephane Veilleux/draft pick. I have not been able to get any confirmation as to whether its a 2nd or 4th round pick. For Columbus to officially strike a deal, they are going to have to up their offer by either offering a 2nd round pick or including Dan Fritsche in the deal. With more teams getting involved, the Penguins have all the leverage right now. I've been hearing Columbus is prepared to offer Malone a 5yr - 25 million deal. Minnesota appears willing to go 4-5 years at 4 million per season.

My sources indicate talks are going well with Brooks Orpik. The Penguins initiated talks with Orpik yesterday morning and its believed the two sides are negotiating off of a 5 year - 17 million offer.

Expect a decision from Hossa by Friday. The two sides are still negotiating...... I'm waiting to hear back from some people who are not connected to the Penguins about whats the vibe around the NHL in regards to Hossa resigning in Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh folks are very optimistic but depending on who you talk too, some outsiders have a diffent take on the situation. The Carolina Hurricanes and Buffalo Sabres are being mentioned as the early front runners to sign Jarko Ruutu. I've been told Shero will sit down with Ruutu's representatives following the draft but the Penguins expect Ruutu to test the UFA waters. Adam Hall is seeking a multi year deal (one way contract)

Check for updates througout the day.... updated rumor chart

From TSN.ca

One of the pieces of the Pittsburgh Penguins' bright future could be on the move before Friday's NHL Entry Draft.

According the Columbus Dispatch, the Columbus Blue Jackets are close to acquiring the negotiating rights to Penguins' power forward Ryan Malone, who is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The newspaper suggested deal could be consummated as early as Tuesday.

However, NHL sources also told the Dispatch that the Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks also are talking to Pittsburgh about acquiring Malone's rights.

The Blue Jackets own the sixth and 19th picks overall which would allow them to deal their second or third round pick to Pittsburgh, which does not have a pick in the first round.

Any deal that is agreed upon would have to be put together soon to allow the Blue Jackets time to work out a contract with Malone before the Entry Draft.

The report indicates the Blue Jackets would likely offer Malone a four or five-year contract worth between $4.5 million and $5.5 million per season.

I like Malone but he's NOT a 4-5 million dollar a year guy just like Dustin Penner wasn't. He's, tops, a 2.5 million guy. He's not going to get you 30+ goals and that's what you need from a 4-5 million dollar investment in a forward.

But the monetary value we put to players is changing (for the worse). Is Gomez or Briere worth what they're being paid? No, but that's how the market is going.

For players that combine size and skill, they're going to get more simply because there aren't many of them to go around. He falls in line with players like Erik Cole and Dustin Penner, and those players are being paid over $4 million to player. You may not agree, but that's how it is. How much is Dustin Brown being paid now?

I like Malone but he's NOT a 4-5 million dollar a year guy just like Dustin Penner wasn't. He's, tops, a 2.5 million guy. He's not going to get you 30+ goals and that's what you need from a 4-5 million dollar investment in a forward.

But the monetary value we put to players is changing (for the worse). Is Gomez or Briere worth what they're being paid? No, but that's how the market is going.

For players that combine size and skill, they're going to get more simply because there aren't many of them to go around. He falls in line with players like Erik Cole and Dustin Penner, and those players are being paid over $4 million to player. You may not agree, but that's how it is. How much is Dustin Brown being paid now?

Briere, maybe. Gomez, HELL NO. In the salary cap era you have to keep very careful who you give money to. Those contracts will bite the Rangers in the ass. You're seeing players get paid for great years now and bad years later and teams are hoping the money evens out a bit. That's the basis of the DiPietro deal. You hope the 8-10 good years are so good they outweigh the 3-4 bad years you'll have him for.

Dustin Brown is a 30 goal scorer playing with Kopitar sure but still he's scored 30 relatively speaking on his own. Penner's contract was beyond dumb at the time and motivated by non-hockey things (like feeling bad because of the Pronger deal). It may be worth it now but it was a massive gamble. Erik Cole helped Carolina actually win a Cup and he's another guy who's a viable 30 goal scorer.

Brown: 33G, 27A (23 years old aka not prime) - 3.175 cap hit

Malone: 27G, 24A (28 years old aka prime)

Penner: 23G, 24A (25 years old aka near prime) - 4.250 cap hit

Cole: 22G, 29A (29 years old aka prime) - 4.000 cap hit

Both Penner and Brown are much younger. Malone deserves near 3.5 at most. For good measure, Cole make 4.000 and Staal a younger player than even Brown who has scored 100 points make 4.5.