NHL - Offseason

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so in the last thread we were discussing some of the Penguins contract issues coming up. Here's some news on Malkin. And by "news" I mean "the greatest thing you could ever read."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_572532.html

Pens' Malkin says extension coming

TORONTO -- Evgeni Malkin did not leave the NHL Awards Show at Elgin Theatre on Thursday night with either the Hart Trophy or the Lester B. Pearson Award.

But he said the prize he really covets -- a long-term contract extension with the Penguins -- is on its way.

"I'm thinking maybe five or six years," said Malkin, set to enter the final season of his three-year entry-level deal. "I'm an easy guy to deal with. I'd love to stay in Pittsburgh."

The NHL's collective bargaining agreement forbids the Penguins from signing Malkin to an extension until July 1. Malkin said he expects the extension will be signed "soon" after that date.

Malkin added that his annual salary did not need to top the $8.7 million teammate and Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will average each of the next five seasons. Crosby signed a five-year extension worth $43.5 million last summer that picks up this season.

He's willing to take less than Crosby! OMFG!

It will be good for the league, it will allow more highlight reel goals which will make more top plays on SC, which will in turn raise awareness of general sports fans and help lead to more interest by causual fans and sportscasters and sports programmers who dictate what people see via sportscenter. Another thing many people may not realize is that this will also allow (talented) goalies to make more amazing, better looking saves since they'll actually be able to move again. I'm for it.

Ok, so in the last thread we were discussing some of the Penguins contract issues coming up. Here's some news on Malkin. And by "news" I mean "the greatest thing you could ever read."

Pens' Malkin says extension coming

TORONTO -- Evgeni Malkin did not leave the NHL Awards Show at Elgin Theatre on Thursday night with either the Hart Trophy or the Lester B. Pearson Award.

But he said the prize he really covets -- a long-term contract extension with the Penguins -- is on its way.

"I'm thinking maybe five or six years," said Malkin, set to enter the final season of his three-year entry-level deal. "I'm an easy guy to deal with. I'd love to stay in Pittsburgh."

The NHL's collective bargaining agreement forbids the Penguins from signing Malkin to an extension until July 1. Malkin said he expects the extension will be signed "soon" after that date.

Malkin added that his annual salary did not need to top the $8.7 million teammate and Penguins captain Sidney Crosby will average each of the next five seasons. Crosby signed a five-year extension worth $43.5 million last summer that picks up this season.

so wait, does this void out next years deal? or does this deal start the year after?

so wait, does this void out next years deal? or does this deal start the year after?

I believe extensions start when the current deals are over. That's how it worked with Dustin Brown's extension.

What about all the coaching changes? The Sharks, Kings, Leafs, and Lightning. Obviously the Shark and Leafs jobs are filled for now. What's up the lazy susan of coaching changes? You figure people would want to bring in new blood. Look what it did for Anaheim and Washington.

Good for Malkin in regards to taking less money to stay. I think that kind of thing will happen more often.

it kind of has too with the way the cap is set up, franchises can't win with one star getting 13 mil of the cap

Exactly, which means players who play secondary roles have to decide if money is more important than winning. You get the same kind of decisions in basketball. I like that part, sort of.

The scuttlebutt is picking up around the NHL. Here's what today has revealed (so far):

-- Ryan Malone is not going to sign with the Pittsburgh Penguins, unless the Penguins significantly up their offer. It's looking more and more like the Penguins will get Evgeni Malkin signed to a contract extension and be able to keep right winger Marian Hossa. That will show Malone to the door.

An NHL source said that Malone has been low-balled twice by the Penguins and is ready to leave July 1 as an unrestricted free agent. Malone's rights could be traded before that day, of course, and the Blue Jackets are a likely destination.

The source said the Penguins have already made the Blue Jackets an offer for Malone's rights. Not sure what the offer was, or if the Blue Jackets are still contemplating it. But this could go down pretty quick, folks.

Malone would definitely be happy to play for the Blue Jackets, a source said.

Wow, Malone is certainly not a guy the Pens would want to lose. He's a big heart and soul guy. I think he'd have a good time in LA.

I don't want to lose him either, but he is going to get way, way, way overpaid in this market. We can easily replace him, not for 100% productivity, but as I mentioned in the Playoffs thread -- Adam Hall can fill his position w/ some productivity. If it means keeping Hossa, Malone is an afterthought.

Wow, Malone is certainly not a guy the Pens would want to lose. He's a big heart and soul guy. I think he'd have a good time in LA.

I don't want to lose him either, but he is going to get way, way, way overpaid in this market. We can easily replace him, not for 100% productivity, but as I mentioned in the Playoffs thread -- Adam Hall can fill his position w/ some productivity. If it means keeping Hossa, Malone is an afterthought.

I don't follow the Pens enough to say but I do know in the playoffs you need the warriors like Malone. Granted you need Hossa to get you there with home ice. Tough call either way but overpaying the way things are structured in the NHL is worse than letting a guy go.

Alright Pens head office: You're 2 for 2 keeping Hossa and Malkin (if all goes well), now lock up MAF and Staal.

Staal won't likely sign this offseason because of his poor production this last year. he'll likely wait till next summer to take his chances of performing better

also, what do you think the pens would get if Malone's rights got traded?

Alright Pens head office: You're 2 for 2 keeping Hossa and Malkin (if all goes well), now lock up MAF and Staal.

Staal won't likely sign this offseason because of his poor production this last year. he'll likely wait till next summer to take his chances of performing better

also, what do you think the pens would get if Malone's rights got traded?

Picks. Don't think you've give up a body, unless its a mediocre player, for just rights. Probably a third and a fourth rounder.