NHL - Offseason

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never ever understand why people get paid this much money to play a sport.
Pro sports are huge money-makers. Like the old investment adage goes, you get out what you put in, so owners pay players to attract them so fans in turn are attracted to the team via tickets and merchandising.

no I understand why they get paid what they do. I just wish they didn't. Teachers and cops get paid like shit but some dude can make millions just for catching a ball. There's nothing anyone can do about it and it won't stop me from watching hockey it just seems pointless to me.

Right wing Georges Laraque told us a few minutes ago that he will not re-sign with the Penguins:

“I talked with (general manager) Ray Shero when the season was over and we were up front with each other,” Laraque said. “He said the problem bringing me back might be cap issues. I told him I would wait and told my agent to wait to see what happened in Pittsburgh.

“But they’ve signed (forward Eric) Godard. He’s a better fit for the cap.”

pens are jags are "close" according to some reports i've seen. with how much they are under the cap atm, they could actually afford jags for a year and hossa for 5 and still have the money to resign the other few players they need. brooks i really don't want to see back though. $3m a year for a stay at home dman is to much, esp when you have scuds and eaton for half that price for both of them.

pens are jags are "close" according to some reports i've seen. with how much they are under the cap atm, they could actually afford jags for a year and hossa for 5 and still have the money to resign the other few players they need. brooks i really don't want to see back though. $3m a year for a stay at home dman is to much, esp when you have scuds and eaton for half that price for both of them.

Jags retiring in Pittsburgh would be amazing, and keeping Hossa would be even more amazing. I hope this happens.

the best teacher in the world isn't going to get paid $1 Million plus for teaching a year

How do you determine who is the best? By the students' grades? By peer review? By student review? It's a flawed comparison, but for just for argument's sake...

Being a great teacher and being a great professional athlete have completely different criteria. They also have completely different economical effects. Is the general public really going to start following and investing time / emotion into our nation's best teachers? Are these teachers going to bring in millions of dollars in ticket and merchandise sales?

You're basically saying that a job's importance to society should yield corresponding salaries. I get that. But who is going to pay teachers millions of dollars when they don't have millions of dollars to pay them with. On the flip side, why would athletes play for teacher's salaries while other people reap all the profits that they bring in? The system wouldn't work and would produce an inferior product (which would bring in less money and so on).

i agree and understand everything you're saying from an economic and realistic stand point it's just a personal preferance that I think the most useless(non important) jobs in our country(acting/musician/athlete) get paid the most

how many teachers gross $2 billion a year in total revenue? because that's what the NHL made last year they were saying on the NHL Network today. figure 23 players a team (this includes backup goalie and healthy scratches), 30 teams in the league, that's 690 people. 2 billion / 690 is $2.898 million per player in revenue. each team takes in an average of $67 million, yet the cap is only $56 million. teams like Nashville make $15 million a year in revenue sharing alone to keep them afloat, so the league instituted a minimum cap of around $38 million. the estimated average per team next season is going to be around $47 million, so that's a $20 million profit per team on average.

if anything, hockey players are underpaid. look at the pussies in the NBA who get a bruise and miss a week, or the MLB where pitchers are babied beyond belief and make obscene amounts of money. hockey is non stop action and nearly everyone plays hurt. sid played the playoffs in 07 with a broken foot. i'm certain arod or lebron would be out 2+ months with that. malone had his nose broken more times than i can count in the playoffs and late in the season, yet he rarely missed a shift. he'd get it reset and go back out there.