crap on surface of new record

So I finally got around to playing a record I had bought awhile ago brand new and right off the bad it sounded like crap - lots of strange sounds + popping and cracking.

Upon closer inspection, there were many dime-sized areas of crap on the surface of the record. I attempted to clean the areas w/ a kit and most of it came off - some of it wont. I'm half tempted to use my thumbnail on it, but that doesnt seem like a good idea ???

Has anyone else ever received a brand new record like this? What is the best method to clean these areas?

There's a pretty good chance you're going to be stuck with some noise since the 'crap' is probably in the grooves to some degree. I've mostly run into this with old second hand records. I never had any problem using my fingernail to get the bulk of it off, it's never hurt the record. But again, those were old records I wasn't overly concerned with. I also use my fingernail when shopping for old records to feel if any surface marks are actually cut into the record. If you're just gliding it over the record, I don't think it's a big deal. My nail is no harder than a needle and isn't actually going in the groove itself, I don't think.

was it a smokey/splatter color?

all my Shot Baker Awake LPs have that dust on them that a lot of the GZ Media stuff has had...you should be able to clean it of with a proper record cleaner. Well worth the investment.

Yeh it is a splatter record. Could you link me to a "proper record cleaner"?

How well do those $30 cleaning kits that record stores sell work?

I really want to play my copy of Panopticon, but it has the gritty crap on it (smoke color)

this question was raised on the Temporary Residence board regarding Mono - Gone release. it has that gritty shite on it. Temp Res said that playing the record would clean the grit out without fucking your needle up. and as more and more of the grit comes away, it will sound better the more times you play it.

i would sort an anti-static fibre brush for yer rekkids rather than cleaning chemicals. have heard from top-shelf vinyl afficianados that the over-the-shelf cleaner can do more harm than good. a proper vinyl vacuum cleaner will do the trick but they cost the bomb. so sort a decent brush and gently clean it away each time u play it and u should do ok.

How well do those $30 cleaning kits that record stores sell work?

I really want to play my copy of Panopticon, but it has the gritty crap on it (smoke color)

this question was raised on the Temporary Residence board regarding Mono - Gone release. it has that gritty shite on it. Temp Res said that playing the record would clean the grit out without fucking your needle up. and as more and more of the grit comes away, it will sound better the more times you play it.

i would sort an anti-static fibre brush for yer rekkids rather than cleaning chemicals. have heard from top-shelf vinyl afficianados that the over-the-shelf cleaner can do more harm than good. a proper vinyl vacuum cleaner will do the trick but they cost the bomb. so sort a decent brush and gently clean it away each time u play it and u should do ok.

Yeah, I've been meaning to get a brush...

My copy of Gone didn't have grit like my Panopticon and Envy records do...interesting.

was it a smokey/splatter color?

all my Shot Baker Awake LPs have that dust on them that a lot of the GZ Media stuff has had...you should be able to clean it of with a proper record cleaner. Well worth the investment.

Def. have had this problem with records with this kind of effect, pretty annoying...

It happens to haze records because (I think I have this right) haze is created by using a really dusty powder instead of pellets of vinyl.