Apple Care Advice

So I got my new Macbook in the mail today (rushed home on my lunchbreak to get the little guy), I'm stoked on it! I ordered it on eBay (thanks to whoever posted that Slickdeals 35% off thread) and the seller shipped it with Apple Care. The seller didn't really figure this into the price (the laptop was $1,099 for the high end Macbook that is only one gen old and had the RAM doubled). So here I am with essentially a free extended warranty.

The question I'm posing is, should I keep it?

I am well versed at how glorious Apple Care is (I've had it on my iPods). The only major computer problems I've ever had were with my iBook (bad harddrive, motherboard died) and the CompUSA warranty I had at the time really saved me.

...on the other hand, I've spent a lot of money lately and the extra $200 I can eBay the Apple Care for would go over well for denting my credit card bill (thanks Lollapalooza!).

What do you guys think?

If I do sell it, this laptop will have cost me a grand total of $180!

$1,100

- 400 (sold old iBook to girlfriend)

- 220 (20% off from Live.com)

- 200 (potentially selling Apple Care on eBay)

- 100 (10% off from eBay)

______

According to Apple (when I worked for them last), it isn't really a warranty. It's an extended protection plan(technically) which gives you an additional 2 years of the ability to call the support line, service ,and parts protection. When I was there, I got it on my last Powerbook. That shit went crazy and the Applecare saved me a ton. I got a new computer because it had covered the problem. If your computer is still within its first year from date of purchase, you can buy it during any time within that first year. People just usually forget to do so which is why it is encouraged for purchase at the same time as the computer. If the guy just sent you the box, it may already linked to your computer. I would check that out first at:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

That will tell you when your computer was purchased and all that good stuff. I would go from there, but it is a good thing to have especially if you got it for cheaper than retail price.

i dont think people can actually sell their warranties online and be done with it. Read below:

When transferring Apple gear between owners (we'll call them "Original Owner" and "New Owner"), if the AppleCare has been paid for online by a 3rd party on behalf of the Original Owner for their Apple product... the New Owner needs the 3rd party (who paid for the AppleCare) to contact Apple about the transferring of the ownership... regardless if the AppleCare in question is in the name of the Original Owner.

All of the AppleCare documentation is tied to the Original Owner's name and address... but Apple will only deal with the person who paid for the AppleCare extended warranty (which I can only assume they bought through the Apple On-line Store.)

apple is pretty cool about applecare, I've had two issues with separate computers and I've come out on top both times.

first issue. Bought an iBook online from a girl in california. Shipped it to me, a year or so goes by and the logic board goes out(big issues with iBooks, be careful). I try to fix it, open it up, try these little deals to make it work and am just bummed out. Then I think, maybe I still have applecare left, chick said it was good for a year. Well damn, i check online and it's covered for another two months. Call up apple, they have me do all these tests and tell me it's the logic board, they ask about applecare. I tell them my story, he says, sounds good, gets my address, send me a box, I have my iBook back in two weeks running better than ever.

second issue. Bought a new powermac G5. Paid the extra money for applecare. There were some issues from compusa, they entered the serial number on my receipt wrong, so I couldn't get applecare. So I had to get the runaround, bla bla bla. With all that, I forgot to fax in the receipt. So I'm looking at my receipt and see that I passed the one year mark. I call up applecare super bummed out thinking I spent the $300 for nothing. They totally hooked me up and I'm covered, which is good because the G5 I have is watercooled and tons of people have had it leak and kill the computer, so I'm glad I'm covered.

Anyways, do some research on your macbook, check macrumors.com and find out if other people are having problems with your computer. Call apple and find out if you can even get it covered. I think it's worth it, especially if you do have an issue. They seriously send you a box, you put your computer in it, DHL comes and gets it back from you and in 3-4 days, it's back and fresher than ever!

I would keep it. My high school required ibooks and there were numerous amounts of kids, including myself, who's screen completely fucked up, hard drives burned out, etc and they all got fixed without charges or hassle. Although if you crack your screen, that's not covered.

I don't have it for my G5 but since I don't haul it around all the time, nothing has really happened to it.