Nu-metal bands that didn't suck (controversy!)

I've been trying to think of some.

System of a Down and Slipknot both had extremely talented musicians in them and managed to add elements of grind, punk, and hardcore into their songs instead of just playing downtuned buttrock. And Incubus had some rad songs. Other than those three were their any other bands that actually tried to do something a little different?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know what nu-metal really is anymore, or what in the past would be considered it today, but here are some of my favorite "nu-metal" records from the past.

slipknot - ST

system of a down - ST and toxicity

nothingface - an audio guide to everyday atrocity.

fear factory - demanufacture and obsolete

[ps- i still think that first limp bizkit record was pretty awesome. especially when i was in grade school]

Guest falloutcollapse

I never considered Incubus a nu-metal band, I always thought (and still do think) that they are super awesome. Morning View was one of my first favorite CDs.

i dont know what nu-metal really is anymore, or what in the past would be considered it today, but here are some of my favorite "nu-metal" records from the past.

slipknot - ST

[ps- i still think that first limp bizkit record was pretty awesome. especially when i was in grade school]

I think Iowa was pretty important to my musical development. It set the stage for me having the patience to sit down and really listen to tracks that were more than 10 minutes long and mostly just dissonant noise.

And V check out Science dude. Incubus was a total nu-metal band at first. they grew out of it.

Guest falloutcollapse

Alright, I'll check it out dude. Morning View, Make Yourself, and Crow Left of the Murder rule, though. Actually now that I think about it, if anyone has Morning View on vinyl, let's trade.

i never got into iowa. i think it came out right around the time i discovered "hardcore" music, so i was all like "fuck this shit"

also, i never really considered incubus nu-metal either. i can see how people would say that about science, i suppoe. but if you listen to fungus amongus and enjoy incubus, i think youd be hard pressed to find much in the way of nu-metal. just my opinion.

I never considered Incubus a nu-metal band, I always thought (and still do think) that they are super awesome. Morning View was one of my first favorite CDs.

Agreed. :)

I just looked up a list of nu-metal bands because I needed a refresher course and the only band I saw that I liked was Sevendust.

This thread did remind me that I hate P.O.D. and Korn though.

without a doubt, 3 dollar bill y'all was an awesome nu-metal record, and i'd probably still rock it today. incubus, to me, isn't really nu-metal. slipknot and system of a down are cool, but i don't consider them nu-metal either. chevelle and breaking benjamin really are the only two "nu-metal" bands that don't make me cringe when i hear them.

this brings up a fact that i was pondering yesterday...what exactly IS nu-metal anymore?

Guest falloutcollapse

The only Slipknot song I have ever heard had the lyrics "I push my fingers into my eyes..." I never got into them because of that.

EDIT: And probably because I hate clowns. I hated scary lyrics too, so both of those together probably sucked.

slipknot - ST

I think Iowa was pretty important to my musical development. It set the stage for me having the patience to sit down and really listen to tracks that were more than 10 minutes long and mostly just dissonant noise.

And V check out Science dude. Incubus was a total nu-metal band at first. they grew out of it.

nah incubus started as a rock-funk type band. they were never nu-metal.

nah incubus started as a rock-funk type band. they were never nu-metal.

their earliest stuff is basic Primus rip offs.