Hopeless Records’ catalog now available at VC

Guest admin1338560633

A little known fact, I used to work at Hopeless Records from 97 to 98. It was a great experience, but I just wasn’t the biggest fan of Los Angeles. It is amazing to see an independent label doing so well, but to me, it is all about the early years of this label. I first found out about Hopeless when they put out 88 Fingers Louie and later became big fans of the Nobodys, Funeral Oration, and Falling Sickness. When I worked for Hopeless, they were just starting to work with Dillinger Four and Mustard Plug. To me, it really doesn’t get much better than D4’s “Midwestern Songs” and when that album came out, it really set the bar for great punk rock. After I left, Hopeless signed great acts like the Weakerthans and Thrice who have gone off to do bigger and better things. And oh yeah, they signed that band Avenged Sevenfold who really are not my thing, but people seem to like them.

For many of these releases, i only got 1 or 2 so act quickly if you want to take a trip through time through Hopeless’ back catalog. This brings back some great memories.

88 FINGERS LOUIE “Back on the Streets” LP

88 FINGERS LOUIE “Behind Bars” LP

AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY “24 Hour Roadside Resistence” LP

AGAINST ALL AUTHORITY “All Fall Down” LP

AVENGED SEVENFOLD “S/t” double LP

AVENGED SEVENFOLD “City Of Evil” 2xLP

COMMON RIDER “This is Unity Music” LP

DIGGER “Monte Carlo” LP

DIGGER “Powerbait” LP

DIGGER “The Promise of an Uncertain Future” LP

Dillinger Four - Versus God LP

Dillinger Four- Midwestern Songs LP

FALLING SICKNESS “Because the World has Failed us Both” LP

FALLING SICKNESS “Right on Time” LP

FIFTEEN “Lucky” double LP

FiFTEEN “Survivor” double LP

FUNERAL ORATION “Believer” LP

FUNERAL ORATION “S/t” LP

FUNERAL ORATION “Survival” LP

HECKLE “The Complicated Futility Of…” LP

MUSTARD PLUG “Evildoers Beware” LP

MUSTARD PLUG “Pray For Mojo” LP

NOBODYS “Generation XXX” LP

NOBODYS “Shorts Songs for Short Attention Spans” LP

NOBODYS “Smell of Victory” LP

QUEERS “Beyond the Valley…” LP

QUEERS “Punk Rock Confidential” LP

SAMIAM “Astray” LP

SAMIAM “Whatever’s Got You Down” LP mustard yellow w/ splatter

SCARED OF CHAKA “Crossing with Switchblades” LP

SCARED OF CHAKA “Tired of You” LP

SCHLONG “Punk Side Story” LP

SELBY TIGERS “Charm City” LP

SeLBY TIGERS “The Curse Of…” LP

THRICE “The Illusion of Safety” LP

WEAKERTHANS “Left and Leaving” LP

There's some really good stuff in there. Too bad Hopeless went to complete and utter shit right after signing Avenged Sevenfold. Seriously, what the fuck happened to them?

I kind of agree, but I guess Louis treats the label as a business and signs bands that sell. I run suburban home with my ears and my heart and not with dollar signs in mind; usually if it is a band that I absolutely can't stand, that is the band that sells the most copies. I could go on and on.

I see that you live in Riverside, dude I used to go to the Barn and see Falling Sickness all the time. That and the Corona Showcase were the only places to see punk shows on the weekend and I would have to drive from the Valley which was terrible. I miss Falling Sickness.

There's some really good stuff in there. Too bad Hopeless went to complete and utter shit right after signing Avenged Sevenfold. Seriously, what the fuck happened to them?

I kind of agree, but I guess Louis treats the label as a business and signs bands that sell. I run suburban home with my ears and my heart and not with dollar signs in mind; usually if it is a band that I absolutely can't stand, that is the band that sells the most copies. I could go on and on.

I see that you live in Riverside, dude I used to go to the Barn and see Falling Sickness all the time. That and the Corona Showcase were the only places to see punk shows on the weekend and I would have to drive from the Valley which was terrible. I miss Falling Sickness.

haha small world... Zac, the bassist from Falling Sickness, is one of my best friends. I also see Fritz (guitarist) and Angel (drums) a lot too, they're in a band called Dogs of Ire, but its a completely different sound from Sickness (still really good, though).

I was a bit too young to go out to shows at the Barn. My friend and I would hear about them and wanted to go, but we never had a way to get there since our parents wouldn't take us. I go to school at UCR and they've turned the Barn into this bullshit cafeteria with shitty food. It sucks.

haha small world... Zac, the bassist from Falling Sickness, is one of my best friends. I also see Fritz (guitarist) and Angel (drums) a lot too, they're in a band called Dogs of Ire, but its a completely different sound from Sickness (still really good, though).

I was a bit too young to go out to shows at the Barn. My friend and I would hear about them and wanted to go, but we never had a way to get there since our parents wouldn't take us. I go to school at UCR and they've turned the Barn into this bullshit cafeteria with shitty food. It sucks.

i love the riverside talk. so many of my first shows were tagging along with my older sister and her friends at the barn. im pretty sure i saw falling sickness there a couple times. im pretty sure the last show the barn did before it closed its doors was some shitty kottonmouth kings bullshit.