Ebay - US VS Worldwide search

OK so I noticed a thread about prices in the US being crazy and then someone had a ebay link of co.uk. It got me thinking. I personally hate hate hate the fact that eBay changed there settings about a year or so ago and makes me click Worldwide under the search every f-ing time I want to search for something (I wont get started on this new "Best Match" default listing bullshit)

So I love Ebay because its global, its the internet, and it makes no sense to me that EBay automatically LIMITS my results, results they make money off. They automatically convert prices for people anyway, you pay with PayPal 90% of the time, whats the point of limiting results?

Do you guys only search US if your in the US, search worldwide, or just you local eBay?

Yeah, I always search Worldwide within Music.... if you get more specific then you will lose the international items.

This is not as big of a pet peeve of mine as the fact that they now don't return all active results with titles matching the text of the search. Some items only show up some times and it's frustrating to then see them close with no bids.

I've contacted Ebay about this and some tech told me that they were aware of the problem and acknowledged its seriousness but wouldn't say more than "we're working on it"

I didn't even know about the worldwide search, but I don't really like to pay the extra postage, so I try to stick to US sellers, and maybe Canadian sellers if they have a good deal. But, usually stuff pops up from all over the world when I search anyways, so what is really different about the worldwide search?

Worldwide search searches all eBay sites, not just items listed from the USA by US sellers, which is the default.

I would be pretty amazed if your ebay account somehow manages to search worldwide items by default. I contacted eBay about it and they claim no way to make worldwide search default.

Worldwide search searches all eBay sites, not just items listed from the USA by US sellers, which is the default.

I would be pretty amazed if your ebay account somehow manages to search worldwide items by default. I contacted eBay about it and they claim no way to make worldwide search default.

It depends what I'm searching for. For example, I just got a copy of Coltrane's Ascension from a canadian seller, and I just found it by doing the quick search for Coltrane/records. It was mixed in with all the US sellers. I also search a lot for some Japanese pysch bands, and US and japanese sellers always pop up together. I never use the advanced search option, unless I'm looking for completed listings. I get a lot of UK items that pop up when I do searches as well. Is this really uncommon?

recently, ebay put a 5p charge on making our sales visible to ebay.com and ebay.ca users. so maybe, international auctions arent showing on US ebay up coz sellers arent paying for this 'extra' option.

ebay is getting more and more fucked up. they increased all the seller fees, some by a third. they counter this by lowering the listing fees so their justification is 'theres really no difference'. oh, but to make your listings available to US sellers (who rarely buy from outside the US anyway coz the exchange is so fucking shit) they now charge the seller for this 'extra'.

getting sick and tired of the shit. damn shame that so much good stuff gets on ebay. proabbly a good time to get out though as prices now are just plain ridiculous. except for my listings though (boo hoo!).

well-disillusioned with the whole ebay experience nowadays. when yer skint and need some cash, sell on this board (and many others), on amazon marketplace or to your mates, coz ebay fucking bites.

ebay is getting more and more fucked up.

agreed!

To use worldwide search, just search for what you want, then in the left hand side bar you will see more search options, just click the Worldwide and hit "Show Items". You will see more results.

Fo example, searched white stripes, then clicked records, 62 results all from US. Then worldwide gave me 67, which seems too low to be honest, after 8 years of searching for WS records. I wonder if this extra fee is causing things to not even be shown with the worldwide search. Getting sick of ebay!!!

Does amazon marketplace have a bidding option?

no. selling is so much easier but you certainly dont get as many hits. on the other hand, no fees are levied if you dont sell and you could keep your listing open as long as you want (until it sells of course). there are some sellers charging unbelievable prices for easy to get stuff but they work on the eventuality that once the cheaper ones are gone, they'll be the only seller left.

if you price your item competitively and there arent too many other sellers, you'll get a sale eventually.