Dangermouse: The Greatest Producer Ever?!

So I just put on the Black Keys Attack and Release yesterday (purchased solely for Danger Mouse involvement) and the whole time I was listening to it I thought, "I shouldn't like this but damn it's fucking good". Now I can't say DM is the only reason it's good but this dude constantly finds ways to work on amazing projects. Not only that, but to have production skills that translate from hip-hop (like Jemini and Dangerdoom) to rock (like the Black Keys) and even more experimental stuff (Gnarls Barkley and Gorillaz) is amazing.

I'm just fully in love with this dude.

meh...hes good...but he has released some crap (grey album anyone?)

Really? That was a promotional release but it was also fantastic. Few artists would be that bold to try and mesh two entirely different albums like that. Not only that but for an album that was done with out the approval (or assistance) of either artist I'd say it's better than 90% of the rap albums made in the last couple of years.

see it felt very haphazard...esp. for all the hubub around it @ the time.

this is just my opinion...but i feel with that he did do anything special...

he has made some choice cuts thought...dm & jemini is an amazing rap album...while the first gnarls was just completely out of left field...

however the 2nd gnarls wasnt all that special...the first one was something completely different while the 2nd one felt like a b-sides album...

and his work with gorillaz wasnt nearly as good as dan the automators...seriously....the 2nd lp was crap compared to the first..i wish they had kept some of the working songs they did with kid koala who is a much better dj and producer.

and dangerdoom was fun...but wouldnt have been very good if not for cartoon networks involvement...

i just feel hes not as good as people make him out to be but got very lucky and made some noise and kinda just rests on his laurals...it'll take another genre bending, crazy fucking album like the first gnarls to make me change my mind.

as for a mash-up mixtape? hip hop producers and djs have been doing that for a long time...danger mouse just made alot of noise doing it and brought the art form(yes it is an art form) to the forefront for awhile.

see it felt very haphazard...esp. for all the hubub around it @ the time.

this is just my opinion...but i feel with that he did do anything special...

he has made some choice cuts thought...dm & jemini is an amazing rap album...while the first gnarls was just completely out of left field...

however the 2nd gnarls wasnt all that special...the first one was something completely different while the 2nd one felt like a b-sides album...

and his work with gorillaz wasnt nearly as good as dan the automators...seriously....the 2nd lp was crap compared to the first..i wish they had kept some of the working songs they did with kid koala who is a much better dj and producer.

and dangerdoom was fun...but wouldnt have been very good if not for cartoon networks involvement...

i just feel hes not as good as people make him out to be but got very lucky and made some noise and kinda just rests on his laurals...it'll take another genre bending, crazy fucking album like the first gnarls to make me change my mind.

as for a mash-up mixtape? hip hop producers and djs have been doing that for a long time...danger mouse just made alot of noise doing it and brought the art form(yes it is an art form) to the forefront for awhile.

Wow, I couldn't feel more differently about the Grey Album. I've constantly been stunned by how smooth and thought out the entire albums sounded as a whole. As for other "mash up" most of them are different for two reasons, 1) They're hits mashed with hits. This was two whole albums put together. Not just the hits (though there were a lot on both albums). If a song is a notable hit 90% of your work is done. This is why no one should be impressed by NIN/50 Cent "In the club" it's two songs which can be put on a relatively close beat pattern. Good job. Mash up "Candy Shop" and "The Perfect Drug" now.

2) Every piece of music was taken exactly from the White Album. DM didn't add a kick a snare or a bass beat. Sure he took liberties with the existing music but to not take the easy way out of "I'll just add a beat here" but to have to find the right sound in the white album and then extract it and place it just right is damn impressive.

I admire that he didn't just take like pieces and put them on top of each other (as so many "mash ups" do). He took the time to make really unique music with the White Album and make it work seamlessly with the Black Album. That to me is far more interesting than putting "Billy Jean" over "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

As for his other work, I know it's all opinion but I loved his work on all of it. I'll admit I like the first Gorillaz album more but his end (the production end) was flawless and sounded fantastic. As for Dangerdoom I actually feel he had to hedge back a bit to mix it with Doom's very off pace steam of consciousness rap. I know everyone loves Madvillian but there are sooooo many times that album feels off pace or just plan off. Though it may have better moments than Dangerdoom. Dangerdoom took the task of making a whole MF Doom album that doesn't feel off tempo, rushed or awkward at all. DM manages to make good (not fantastic but solid) beats for one of the most unusually paced MC's in hiphop.

But hey, different strokes.

Gnarls has good singles, but the albums get tiresome to me. Dangerdoom was amazing. The Gorillaz album was solid. Black Keys album is pretty good, haven't listened to it as much as the other albums. Only listened to the new Beck once but it sounded great, only one or two boring songs but overall some interesting things going on.

I couldn't agree more, Dan The Automator is easily one of the best producers around. Anything that man touches is golden.

FUCK YES +1!!!

You see he's such a great secret agent he just blended in like that.

As a side note, I love my Danger mouse (cartoon shirt) but hate when people come up to me like yeah Man Danger mouse is awesome, I start talking about the cartoon and they kinda are like WTF, I mean like you know Gnarls barkley.

I love DM, but I disagree w/ the statement that he's the greatest, however he could very well become one of the best ever. The guy is still young.

The Grey Album put him on the map. I always felt his Pelican City stuff was boring and mediocre but The Grey Album was really innovating as no one would touch the Beatles like that!

Demon Days by the Gorillaz is in my opinion DM's high point. That album is nearly perfect and his work on it is impeccable.

Dangerdoom is a lot of fun.

Gnarls Barkley can be hit or miss, St. Elsewhere is great and I love it, but The Odd Couple does nothing for me outside of "Run."

I think w/out DM on The Good, The Bad, & the Queen album it would have been rather boring.

I only listened to the new Beck record once so far, but it seemed pretty good.

I have yet to hear the The Black Keys record in question or the other things he produced outside of what I mentioned.

DM is only 30 years old, give him time and this thread will certainly have validity.

Yes.

The Grey Album was ambitious and a brilliant way to get his name out there, but the actual album just wasn't very catchy and reeked of art school final project.

Dangerdoom was fun, but too jokey (although I do own it).

Gnarls Barkley is for people who are old enough to remember shitty '80s music and can't let it go.

I've given that Dangermouse & Jemini album a million chances, but every time I just find it to be slick and boring. The songs are way too long.

He seems talented, and I admire his rule of only doing albums instead of tracks, but I wish he would just release something completely bangin'.