Starting a Vinyl Only Label

Super serial question,

pressing.....

Where is the best place to get stuff pressed? Preferably in the northeast...

by best do you mean cheapest, highest quality, easiest to deal with, offer package deals?

Well, all I really need is the records pressed and a paper sleeve for each one. I have a pretty good local printing deal already. But of course, I want the highest quality possible, but, I can only pay so much.

If you want crazy high qualtiy you really can't beat Pirates Press. Talk to Damon from there.

500 colored for 2000 including full color jackets etc.

About the same price and Bill Smith records, but Pirates will happily do crazy colors, shapes and their standard weight on colored is around 155-160 compared to URP's 130.

P.S if you talk to Damon, tell em I sent you. shhhhh

Brownie points are good

Beware with URP, you will get shitty quality, long turnaround, and they use recycled vinyl which will cause more surface noise etc.

Also they are stupid and pretty much suck ass.

Yeah, I've had two really bad experiences with URP. But if you're on a budget, it's really hard to beat their prices.

I've used Pirates Press for the last 4 releases and could not be happier. The prices aren't as bad as everyone claims they are, and the quality and turnaround and customer service is really awesome.

But yeah Rainbo is really good as well

I personally haven't had any trouble or problems with Pirates Press as a pressing plant/broker, but I have gotten royally screwed on the shipping...that's the only real point of contention.

I just pressed the Methadones LP at United, it took forever...they're not good communicators but the LPs look and sound good. But you do need to request the "DJ Deluxe"/140 gram vinyl

edit: if you do use United, get your labels printed at Imprint(www.iloveimprint.com) because United makes really shitty labels...trust me it'll be worth the extra $50 or whatever the difference in price is

vinyl only? i'm in the process of starting up one of these myself and know a bunch of other people going this route as well.

if you're licensing releases from bands on labels other than your own, be prepared to get the run around plenty of times. and if a percentage of your pressing goes toward payment for the rights, DO NOT give more than 15% of it.

start small. you'll have an easier time dealing with things if you can put out a friend's 7" or LP than you would with a name brand band.

put out music you believe in. people can tell when you're not sincere - you won't be fooling anybody if you're gonna put out a release by band just to make $$. love what you listen to, put out what you want and believe in.

have A LOT of money to spend! from my experience, it will take anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 dollars to put out a record on your own.

I personally haven't had any trouble or problems with Pirates Press as a pressing plant/broker, but I have gotten royally screwed on the shipping...that's the only real point of contention.

I just pressed the Methadones LP at United, it took forever...they're not good communicators but the LPs look and sound good. But you do need to request the "DJ Deluxe"/140 gram vinyl

edit: if you do use United, get your labels printed at Imprint(www.iloveimprint.com) because United makes really shitty labels...trust me it'll be worth the extra $50 or whatever the difference in price is

How long did it take out of curiousity?

I have given thought to putting out a one off there, but from past experience I'm kind of scared to.

How long did it take out of curiousity?

I have given thought to putting out a one off there, but from past experience I'm kind of scared to.

I kind of lost track between the delays at the plant, the label printer accidentally shipping the labels uncut.

The enormous part of the problem was a potential legal hiccup that I don't want to discuss.

Despite the delays I'm probably just going to start using them, I've heard a lot of horror stories, but I kind of need to work on a budget for the time being.