The Melvins, whats a good place to start?

Bullhead and Houdini are probably the best ones to start with. Their music style changes from time to time, as some stuff can be the typical melvinish style rock, and other albums are experiemental. I would suggest after the 1st 2 suggested you randomly pick b/w one old album and one newer album, and work your way to the middle.

Guest naytoid
"Houdini" is probably the best one to start with. I'Other than that, I'm not too familiar with their recorded material. Great live show, though.

there's SO much out there...just buy Houdini then go wild exploring....

Probably the best way to go with The Melvins

Guest kingbuzzo

Like other said, pick up "Houdini" first. It's the most similar to the two newest releases. After that I'd go with "Hostile Ambient Takeover" because it shows a lot of what they can do. I'm really partial to "Lysol" but some people are turned off by the single track format.

Like other said, pick up "Houdini" first. It's the most similar to the two newest releases. After that I'd go with "Hostile Ambient Takeover" because it shows a lot of what they can do. I'm really partial to "Lysol" but some people are turned off by the single track format.

And that's coming from King Buzzo himself! Like others said, I'd start with Houdini. I definitely like their newer stuff better than their old sludge-y stuff that sounds like an even slower version of "My War", side 2.

I'll go against the grain here and say "Stag." I love the two before that one ("Houdini" and "Stoner Witch"), but "Stag" remains my favorite. Most Melvins records are about 80% rock and 20% skippable in my opinion. "Honkey" reverses those numbers, though the tracks that rock on that one rock pretty damn hard. Stay away from "Prick" and the solo records to begin with, though. Just throwin' that out there.

I'll go against the grain here and say "Stag." I love the two before that one ("Houdini" and "Stoner Witch"), but "Stag" remains my favorite. Most Melvins records are about 80% rock and 20% skippable in my opinion. "Honkey" reverses those numbers, though the tracks that rock on that one rock pretty damn hard. Stay away from "Prick" and the solo records to begin with, though. Just throwin' that out there.

What are you talking about? King Buzzo's "Skeeter" is fucking awesome!!! :)