A question/poll for Colored vinyl fans.

Question should read:

Would you be more apt to order a record if it was on splatter vinyl or something like that than you would be if it was just plain red or some other plain color? Does that play in to your decision at all? Let's assume that the pressing numbers would be the same as well.

The results of this poll will more than likely impact the pressing of a record I've got coming out in the next few months and it will also settle a bet.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it would depend on what matched the art better. I am just as likely to buy a red vinyl as a rainbow clown shoes vinyl if they're the same numbers. Actually, I tend to only like splatter if it's more limited or matches the art better.

This is how I feel about it, too. It's really all about how well the color/splatter/what have you matches the art. Sometimes splatters look killer with the artwork (see Killing The Dream), but doing a splatter or crazy color just to do it is silly.

Id prefer vinyl that matches the artwork of the record, so could go either way with this. For instance...

The new gaslight records are on black, blue, and white. These all go well with the artwork

However, had they pressed, black, blue with white splatter, and white/blue split or something like that, i would have been equally as stoked.

See that's what I think. I think it honestly doesn't matter to most people and I certainly don't care. A potential buyer seems to think that something crazy would sell better. I disagree.

Well I'm sure there's a set of people who like the look more than the music. I don't think you're going to get too many of those people around here. I'm with dante though, I like something that goes with the art in some way. I'm not opposed to or married to splatters. I like the Gaslight white with red splatter. I dislike the Trio record with half-and-half AND splatter.

nope.

i buy vinyl for the music.

the only time color matters is when there are multiple colors per pressing and im looking to get only one. then its just preference. I really dont think there is much need for any emphasis on it.

although VC and no idea have put out some awful looking records that i would have no desire to own even if i kind of liked the band and they were on sale for like $4...

this is a great splatter:

http://www.deadformat.net/press/2192#photos

just take it easy.

Likewise I always thought these

http://www.deadformat.net/press/5070#photos

came out nicely.

As for the question at hand, on occasion a really cool looking record/packaging combo will convince me to buy a record I wasn't otherwise considering picking up (see: Baroness) , but I will never choose not to buy a record that I was thinking of buying because it's not on a cool enough color. Does that make sense?

Kelsey, everytime I see your screen name all I can think of is that Two Man Advantage song (if anyone knows it)..."Captain Morgan! A Puerto Rican spiced rum!"

That's pretty funny. I don't know it, but I'll try to track it down.

The CaptainMorgan thing comes from my stint as captain of my rugby team, when I was quite literally "Captain Morgan," which my teammates found hilarious.

I don't even really like rum that much.

nope.

i buy vinyl for the music.

the only time color matters is when there are multiple colors per pressing and im looking to get only one. then its just preference. I really dont think there is much need for any emphasis on it.

although VC and no idea have put out some awful looking records that i would have no desire to own even if i kind of liked the band and they were on sale for like $4...

That's pretty much the same as buying something for the color of the vinyl. Both kind of miss the point being as the medium should be all about the music.