A question/poll for Colored vinyl fans.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope.

i buy vinyl for the music.

the only time color matters is when there are multiple colors per pressing and im looking to get only one. then its just preference. I really dont think there is much need for any emphasis on it.

although VC and no idea have put out some awful looking records that i would have no desire to own even if i kind of liked the band and they were on sale for like $4...

So you obviously don't buy for just music.

Jus' sayin'

Steve, the GZ media thing is played out...just run color...IMO.

I've been saying that for 3 years! This is my first release that I've been tempted to use them for because no US plant will press the kind of stuff I'm thinking of getting (half and half) in the numbers I want. In the beginning I wanted to do something really special for this one because it'd make a lot of sense with the artwork and I pretty much ran through half of United's colors on the first pressing of it. I was actually settled on just going through United again and I dont' want to get in to too many specifics about what started me thinking of it again but it involves an email I got today from a buyer who took a crap load last time and apparently "wasn't too keen" on getting a plain color last time. Whatever that means. It was the first I'd heard of it so I'm assuming it wasn't a total bummer but still. Figured I'd test the waters to see if people actually give a shit one way or another if it's something super special or just sort of special.

Guest genericinsight
rainbow splatter or splatter on clear, basically, splatter only on clear vinyl. Those mixed solid colors look terrible.

clear splatter like this:

[image]

I like this too. Splatter looks better on clear and when it's more spread out rather than all over.

nope.

i buy vinyl for the music.

the only time color matters is when there are multiple colors per pressing and im looking to get only one. then its just preference. I really dont think there is much need for any emphasis on it.

although VC and no idea have put out some awful looking records that i would have no desire to own even if i kind of liked the band and they were on sale for like $4...

That's pretty much the same as buying something for the color of the vinyl. Both kind of miss the point being as the medium should be all about the music.

no see,

if there is an album i want, i will buy it regardless of what color its pressed on.

but if there is an album i really dont have any desire to own, and it looks ugly as hell, then it is just going to cement my position of never wanting to own it. But there are a couple albums i've bought for like $3 that i really dont like more than a song or two on them. I'll blind buy an album if the packaging looks really phenomenal, but if it doesnt, i might be more skeptical.

i guess if i like an album, i'll buy it regardless.

if im neutral on an album, really nice packaging might sway me.

if i dont like an album, and the packaging is shitty, theres no way i'll buy it. ever.

That's pretty much the same as buying something for the color of the vinyl. Both kind of miss the point being as the medium should be all about the music.

no see,

if there is an album i want, i will buy it regardless of what color its pressed on.

but if there is an album i really dont have any desire to own, and it looks ugly as hell, then it is just going to cement my position of never wanting to own it. But there are a couple albums i've bought for like $3 that i really dont like more than a song or two on them. I'll blind buy an album if the packaging looks really phenomenal, but if it doesnt, i might be more skeptical.

i guess if i like an album, i'll buy it regardless.

if im neutral on an album, really nice packaging might sway me.

if i dont like an album, and the packaging is shitty, theres no way i'll buy it. ever.

Gotcha, that makes sense, I pretty much do the same thing.

I was just having this debate a couple days ago. I have to agree that when the record matches the artwork/theme/whatever it makes it all that much sweeter to own. If it is a band that I want the album of I'm gonna buy it, but yes I would want it to look awesome at the same time, so I guess I would pick the color/pattern that turned me on more at that point if they were both the same number. I have to admit that if a color that I didn't really get off over was more limited I would probably go for that one, just because.

Another thing is that I wish there were more design options for records as well as a better way to make picture discs so they don't sound like crap. I like the concept of things within the vinyl too. Again if only there was a way that didn't compromise the sound.

i'm right into clear with smokes/hazes/translucent colour etc. not really enjoying splatter but i prefer some kind of crazy shit over opaque colour.

agreed with faith about purple marble. shit does just plain suck.

i really like that recent colouring on the Neurosis - Given to the Rising http://www.deadformat.net/press/1514#photos

that is probably my favouritist (!) vinyl design.

but really, its the music that matters. i wont buy something unless the music is good. dont care what outrageous packaging is concerned. would not consider buying Meanderthal if it sounded like Def Leppard.

See that's what I think. I think it honestly doesn't matter to most people and I certainly don't care. A potential buyer seems to think that something crazy would sell better. I disagree.

I think the colors/designs most deffinitely impact the sales.

Look at the Meandrathol pressing (spelling?)

I really don't think that would have selled nearly as well as a one color.

Even subconciously I think unusual or beautiful colors have an impact on our buying decisions.

See that's what I think. I think it honestly doesn't matter to most people and I certainly don't care. A potential buyer seems to think that something crazy would sell better. I disagree.

Even subconciously I think unusual or beautiful colors have an impact on our buying decisions.

But then again take a look at my avatar :o

I like the "planets" like the torche albums. the haze, half and half looks good most of the time. i do like this splatter:

[image]

lately i like when the more limited pressing is black like the gaslight anthem and andrew jackson jihid LPs. Overall it doesnt really matter to me.

I think everyone likes the clear with splatter more than the others (if you had to choose)

I believe multiple colors impact sales but not necessarily the colors themselves, completely.