taking your records to college with you

you gotta be careful. once i was spinning the Decline and having a few drinks and this kid walked and was like "wow a turntable!" and then started scratching it. i had to jump up and punch him in the head.

holy shit. did this really happen? like, the headpunching and everything? if so, i think you let him off a little bit too easily.

i lived in the dorms and had a roommate. he was cool about the record player/speakers being there, cuz the speakers kinda acted like nightstands. plus we could hook up our ipods to the receivers and play music loud through em. nobody fucked with the record player, most people knew i was awfully serious about treating all of that crap right. not too many drunk people rolled through my room. my floor was pretty laid back. i had about 35-40% of my collection there, too.

Just make sure your friends know what they're doing when it comes to vinyl. Me & my housemate were listening to some records, and our other housemate comes in, wants to put on a record, so we let him. He pops the records on, and then just drops the needle straight onto the record about halfway into it, hahaha. My housemate kicked him out and now he isn't allowed to touch anything of his.

Also, don't get broken into 4 times like I did.

• 7 years later...

I thought I'd bum this thread as I'm leaving for uni in the next month. So I get the not take your whole collection thing but what about storage?

it probably depends on the size of your room. A crate is probably safest and smallest. I live in a house, am 28, and attend a university. It's not an issue for me. My records have their own room, but if your going in to dorms/ apartment I'd keep it minimal.