Bicycle commuters/owners

ps

I just got a new job about a mile from my house, and I am looking for a new bike to get me to and from work. I was thinking of getting this:

[image]

its from Trek's "urban" line of commuter bikes, and I think it looks slick... but the price is kinda steep ($550) anybody have any recommendations for a good commuter bicycle? I am looking for a single speed, durable, and without drop bars.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on your description of what you want, that Trek seems to be a good match. The price seems steep, but it's not that much for a complete bike and it will be worth it to have the decent parts. If that Trek comes with a flip-flop hub, you can ride it with a freewheel or a fixed gear, which is a nice option to have.

would you prefer a single speed or fixed gear bike?

either way, i would sooner pickup this IRO Mark V complete build:

[image]

http://shop.irocycle.com/shop/product.php?prod=Mark%20V%20Bike%20Build&productid=16359&cat=1&page=1

you have the option of adding black flat bars instead of the drops that are pictured. it's a few bucks more than the TREK you've mentioned but i think overall, from what i've heard, IRO makes better bikes and parts.

Guest conoley

I have a Trek and I'm very satisfied with it. Not the same as yours, but a good company. I take mine to work when I don't walk, about half the time, and it's yet to let me down.

I love working a mile from home.

I was thinking about buying that Soho as well. If you get it let me know how it works out for you. I might have to delay my purchase, because my primary turntable is acting up. :-/

I might go with the 1.0 instead though. I ride about 4 miles to work. That's not that much, but sometimes I take really long rides. I am so used to switching gears that I think I might go that route instead.

Why not just buy a cheaper bike?

I am going to be riding it 8-9 months out of the year every day..... hopefully for many years to come. I don't want to spend $200-300 on something that is gonna break or have to replace parts every year. You get what you pay for.

So true. It's worth it to buy something decent now and not have to replace a bunch of shitty parts that break after a few months. Plus, $600 or so isn't that much for a bike - they can cost thousands.

I've got a Trek 7.2Fx, and I really like it. I don't have a car and I use it to get anywhere. Its survived a couple of drunken crashes (yeah, yeah, don't drink and ride...my mom says the same thing...). For hauling crap around I have a bike trailer. It gets a little hard in the winter, say with three or four feet of snow on the ground, but it does the job.

I did the cheap, rebuilt bike thing for a while and they work great...for a bit. There's just a lot more maintenance the less you spend if the parts are old and cheap. However, I've got a couple friends with old bikes with really nice, but old, components that still work really well. If you feel like looking around, you can find those instead.

i'm riding an old raleigh frame that i converted into a fixed gear.

[image]

it has needed replacement parts here and there, but nothing that has cost nearly what a brand new bike would run me. i just can't justify dropping more money on a brand new frame/parts when it could be stolen at any moment from me while i'm out and about in toronto. unfortunately locking up your bike really doesn't make that much of a difference in this city.

that being said, i need to pick up a new bottom bracket and crank set, because what's on there now is wearing out and doesn't provide for the most comfortable ride.

Guest kevinb

I am going to be riding it 8-9 months out of the year every day..... hopefully for many years to come. I don't want to spend $200-300 on something that is gonna break or have to replace parts every year. You get what you pay for.

So true. It's worth it to buy something decent now and not have to replace a bunch of shitty parts that break after a few months. Plus, $600 or so isn't that much for a bike - they can cost thousands.

yeah, they can cost thousands if your freakin Lance Armstrong...

• 2 weeks later...