Houseplant Presents: The Vinyl Box Set 3XLP (Seth Rogen curated compilation)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMP1uWMFPUQ/

Curious if this was on anybody else's radar. It went on pre-sale at 11am CT today but I've been stuck in a queue for two hours. IG stories say the amount of traffic crashed the site. Was anybody able to get in?

Sorry, I don't know how to insert images or embed IG posts.

1 minute ago, MCDELTAT said:

I don't get why I'm supposed to care about this. People make playlists all the time. Seth rogen could have put it on Spotify, but instead it's on vinyl so I'm supposed to care? Are there tracks not available elsewhere? New Songs? etc?

Truthfully I'm more interested in the ashtrays and the lighter, but I dunno man, it's just a fun thing? I felt the same way about that McDonald's record a few weeks ago but I kept it to myself and let people have their fun. I feel like there are far more egregious examples of random unnecessary records than this. You could apply "why should I care about this" to the vast majority of collectibles. 

5 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

Truthfully I'm more interested in the ashtrays and the lighter, but I dunno man, it's just a fun thing? I felt the same way about that McDonald's record a few weeks ago but I kept it to myself and let people have their fun. I feel like there are far more egregious examples of random unnecessary records than this. You could apply "why should I care about this" to the vast majority of collectibles. 

The McDonalds release was fun because it was $5 and included a chicken sandwich hoodie. I had the houseplant release in my cart and it was $120 shipped. Passaroo.

6 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

I'm not slighting or making fun of anyone who does care, but given that there isn't much of a description or tracklisting, it's just a meh to me. The McDonalds record at least told us it was a jingle.

4 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

The McDonalds release was fun because it was $5 and included a chicken sandwich hoodie. I had the houseplant release in my cart and it was $120 shipped. Passaroo.

Oh wow, yeah, no thanks. I'll pass on that too.

2 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

I'm not slighting or making fun of anyone who does care, but given that there isn't much of a description or tracklisting, it's just a meh to me. The McDonalds record at least told us it was a jingle.

Totally valid, and I do agree with you about the frivolity of this particular release (especially now that I know it was $120), but I think your initial response tapped into something I think about a lot in regards to this hobby. I'm looking at a bookcase right now with 500+ records I've purchased over a roughly 10 year period since I started collecting. I've spent at least 15k on vinyl in that time, easy. That's a down payment on a house for music I can very easily listen to on Spotify for $10/month.  But I'm a collector at heart and a lot of the records I have are from smaller artists that I am happy to support. 
But I also have records that I barely ever listen to that I know sell for anywhere between 100-300 dollars and I think, "Why don't I just sell these?"  I've never flipped for profit like that, and I have a sentimental attachment to my collection, but the more it grows the more I find myself asking, "What am I really doing?"

Also the Houseplant thing just ended and I am bummed because I really just wanted to buy an ashtray from Seth Rogen.

5 minutes ago, youngwonton said:

But I also have records that I barely ever listen to that I know sell for anywhere between 100-300 dollars and I think, "Why don't I just sell these?"  I've never flipped for profit like that, and I have a sentimental attachment to my collection, but the more it grows the more I find myself asking, "What am I really doing?"

Yeah I mean I'm in the same boat. I question getting out all the time, and even did a few years back. Listed all my records for sale, all the rare stuff went fast, but it took so much effort that I stopped ha. Also, I'm filling up wayyyy too many Kallax cubes. I have like 12 full cubes.

Edited by MCDELTAT

15 minutes ago, MCDELTAT said:

Yeah I mean I'm in the same boat. I question getting out all the time, and even did a few years back. Listed all my records for sale, all the rare stuff went fast, but it took so much effort that I stopped ha. Also, I'm filling up wayyyy too many Kallax cubes. I have like 12 full cubes.

That's the thing, when I entertain the notion of selling off some of my collection, just the thought of all that packaging and all those trips to the post office puts me off of the idea. I did recently compare with a friend the amount I've spent on records in 10 years versus the amount he's spent on cigarettes, and they were about equal, so that made me feel a little better about it haha. Worse ways to spend your money.

Damn that set was $120 shipped? Why? At least that makes me feel better that I never got through the waiting room before they shut things down.

edit: looks like this is live and works. Ashtray and lighter also under the "House" section.

https://beta.houseplant.com/collection/#product-vinyl-box-set

Edited by fish

1 hour ago, fish said:

Damn that set was $120 shipped? Why? At least that makes me feel better that I never got through the waiting room before they shut things down.

edit: looks like this is live and works. Ashtray and lighter also under the "House" section.

https://beta.houseplant.com/collection/#product-vinyl-box-set

Haha, I don't know why I didn't realize everything was going to be absurdly expensive but I'm suddenly cured of my desire for any part of this collection.

• 2 months later...