NFL Discussion

I don't get why people do not think it's a big deal, especially with a team that's been guilty of cheating before. Hearing from multiple retired QBs about the subject, all of them think Brady is lying. I guess the NFL has a week to figure out if he's going to play in the Super Bowl or what. I agree it's far far from a top world news story but it's probably story #1 in sports right now. If you actually listen to sports radio and TV shows, deal with it. It'll be the top story all week until it's settled.

I don't get why people do not think it's a big deal, especially with a team that's been guilty of cheating before. Hearing from multiple retired QBs about the subject, all of them think Brady is lying. I guess the NFL has a week to figure out if he's going to play in the Super Bowl or what. I agree it's far far from a top world news story but it's probably story #1 in sports right now. If you actually listen to sports radio and TV shows, deal with it. It'll be the top story all week until it's settled.

I completely agree that it is not something to be scoffed at. Most of the people I've seen writing it off as not a big deal have been arguing the fact that it would not have mattered either way within the context of that particular game, which I agree. I think the thing they either don't understand or are ignoring is that the problem is not with that game, but the integrity of the game in general. One comparison I can think of at the moment was the Dez Bryant catch. Blandino said that they would  probably not reevaluate the rule because they need to stay consistent with the calls being made, any give potentially clouding the rule itself and those making the judgement. In this case, if the NFL finds the Pats altered the balls intentionally then they clearly acted in a manner outside the rules and should be punished accordingly (Probably a draft pick). And if not, then oh well. Gave us something to talk about for a week or two.

Apparently the LB that caught the pick isn't the one that noticed the ball was deflated. This is getting better and better.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462315/article/colts-dqwell-jackson-i-didnt-know-football-had-less-pressure

pretty sure you're taking this more seriously than the nfl itself.

it's not getting better, it's getting dumber.

pretty sure you're taking this more seriously than the nfl itself.

it's not getting better, it's getting dumber.

Considering the NFL hasn't really said much, I have no idea how seriously they're taking it, though to me it seems that lack of transparency might be an indication. I'd be extremely surprised if the Patriots were found guilty and no punishment was made. And by better I meant that more and more shit is coming out either contradicting other statements, or things like the Brad Johnson story or the Pittsburgh one. It's all just very entertaining.

the only reason this is a thing is because the media had 2 full weeks to fill before the game. 

if it were a bigger deal than that, there would be more outcry within the league, among players and coaches. the widespread dismissal of it tells me that if they are guilty, then once again, they're far from the first to practice this or something similar. 

pretty sure it's been mentioned in here, it's on the same level as the vikings and panthers placing their game balls under a heater, and that got next to no coverage.

the only reason this is a thing is because the media had 2 full weeks to fill before the game. 

if it were a bigger deal than that, there would be more outcry within the league, among players and coaches. the widespread dismissal of it tells me that if they are guilty, then once again, they're far from the first to practice this or something similar. 

pretty sure it's been mentioned in here, it's on the same level as the vikings and panthers placing their game balls under a heater, and that got next to no coverage.

I agree that it has certainly been done before, the Brad Johnson thing was just as bad (especially if it turns out someone was paid to alter the psi in this case). However, taking the position of "Oh well, everyone does it", or "What this team did was worse" wouldn't lessen any cheating in this case. Also, with all that has gone down in the NFL this year, I really don't see them lightening up on the Pats if they're found guilty. If anything. I'd think they would try to affirm their position in the situation as they have with other situations during the year.

all i can really do is liken it to a pitcher scuffing a ball or using pine tar. it's a common practice, but no one's going to raise a stink unless you're an asshole about it. last season, a yankee pitcher was more or less caught using pine tar against the red sox. boston's manager was aware, but didn't bother to call him out. maybe a week later, the sox faced the same pitcher, and this time he was brazen enough, not only to use pine tar again, but to have it on his neck in laughably clear sight. that's when it becomes a "hey, fuck you back" moment. 

had d'qwell ratted, it's a similar situation. instead, it appears that it was just a sour indy reporter who managed to get his hands on a story, and let it turn into a monster. "because patriots"

It kind of reminds me of when someone at work sends out a GIANT email and then people keep replying all to it (in jest, saying "stop emailing", whatever). It just keeps going. The people on a mission to prove that this shouldn't be a story are just as bad as those who think it is in terms of keeping it going.

all i can really do is liken it to a pitcher scuffing a ball or using pine tar. it's a common practice, but no one's going to raise a stink unless you're an asshole about it. last season, a yankee pitcher was more or less caught using pine tar against the red sox. boston's manager was aware, but didn't bother to call him out. maybe a week later, the sox faced the same pitcher, and this time he was brazen enough, not only to use pine tar again, but to have it on his neck in laughably clear sight. that's when it becomes a "hey, fuck you back" moment.

had d'qwell ratted, it's a similar situation. instead, it appears that it was just a sour indy reporter who managed to get his hands on a story, and let it turn into a monster. "because patriots"

Hey hey why did we have to bring Pineda and his dumbass into it

How hard is it to say "I can't risk my multimillion dollar contract so please don't smoke around me"? No self control whatsoever

Well, considering he is the one doing the smoking I'm sure it is hard to have that conversation with himself. Really though, he just doesn't take it seriously it seems. At this point he is 23 years old, so it is probably guaranteed he will get another opportunity somewhere being as productive as he was in the past. I can see it now, have a press conference about how that part of his life is behind him etc, check into rehab for 12 hours, come out completely cured and ready for a big contract.

Honestly, I don't see him overcoming himself at this point. He can sit there and say what he wants but his actions show he has a real problem.

It wasn't weed - it was alcohol.

@ProFootballTalk

As @AdamSchefter reports, Josh Gordon is facing one-year suspension. Per source, Gordon tested positive for alcohol.

Ah, it's funny because the article I read actually said alcohol but for some reason I apparently missed that probably because his offenses in college were smoking haha. Either way, it still applies. 

Prater did, but I believe that stemmed from a dui?

It seems absolutely absurd to me that players can get suspended for drinking. I mean, unless you're drunk on the field, wtf?

He has priors with weed (a completely separate entity), yeah.. But what about manziel who can't take a Wednesday night off? Where's his suspension?