NFL Discussion

I was listening to the Indy sports-talk radio after work and the local writer who broke the story was saying he feels the Patriots should fire Belicheck if this is proved to have been deliberate. I am so sick of the local media and them not letting this go. It is just time to move on.

I was listening to the Indy sports-talk radio after work and the local writer who broke the story was saying he feels the Patriots should fire Belicheck if this is proved to have been deliberate. I am so sick of the local media and them not letting this go. It is just time to move on.

If Sean Payton can be suspended a whole season with no knowledge of BountyGate, the hoodie should feel Goodell's wrath too

It's time to move on? This just happened two days ago, and the confirmation of 11 balls being over 2lbs under regulation broke today. No matter what team you root for this is pretty huge information.

If not it's encouraging teams to skirt the rules. Any team would lose 25k and a draft pick in exchange for a Super Bowl.

Obviously at this point they're not going to take the game away from them, but imo the only thing that would send a clear message would be something like a significant salary cap penalty for a period of time (Something like 10-20M, think small scale college death penalty). However, I doubt they would ever do something like that to one of their premier teams.

Pats - 1

Goodell - 0

And how much do the balls the Colts had weigh? (Post Game)

Does that really matter? I'm assuming you're insinuating that the Colts might have done it as well (which I doubt considering they were the ones who had it investigated), but either way that would just make two guilty parties, both deserving of punishment.

Does that really matter? I'm assuming you're insinuating that the Colts might have done it as well (which I doubt considering they were the ones who had it investigated), but either way that would just make two guilty parties, both deserving of punishment.

Of course it matters. And no I'm not insinuating that much really, I have no dog in this fight. But why should the public be told one teams balls post game weigh x amount and exclude the info of the other team accusing? Physics/weather play a huge role with air pressure whether it be a footyball or a tire on wheels... Doesn't anyone else's bell ring a bit when balls post game are being questioned? Granted, 2lbs of air with 11 of the 12 balls is of course consistently fishy, but it doesn't mean Colts balls shouldn't be reviewed as well? (Or maybe they don't have a huge running back squeezing the shit out of the ball during runs) I wonder when kickers squeeze the shit out of balls before a kick if that's legal or not? 

Can't believe I'm trying to see this objectively as it pertains to the Patriots... (and yea my team was fucked over in the AFC championship due to spygate active era) 

Of course it matters. And no I'm not insinuating that much really, I have no dog in this fight. But why should the public be told one teams balls post game weigh x amount and exclude the info of the other team accusing? Physics/weather play a huge role with air pressure whether it be a footyball or a tire on wheels... Doesn't anyone else's bell ring a bit when balls post game are being questioned? Granted, 2lbs of air with 11 of the 12 balls is of course consistently fishy, but it doesn't mean Colts balls shouldn't be reviewed as well? (Or maybe they don't have a huge running back squeezing the shit out of the ball during runs) I wonder when kickers squeeze the shit out of balls before a kick if that's legal or not? 

Can't believe I'm trying to see this objectively as it pertains to the Patriots... (and yea my team was fucked over in the AFC championship due to spygate active era) 

Tires on cars are a really bad comparison. You're talking about something that is out in the elements for a very long time versus something that is for 3 or so hours. A football's air pressure would not be affected in that amount of time, nor would 11/12 balls have 2 pounds less air pressure than regulation requires.

Also, the balls that the offense uses are not the balls that are used in the kicking game. They have their own balls, and they squeeze the ball in order to try and press the noses down (not that it really does much). I'm being completely objective as well, honestly I think the Pats would have beaten the Colts regardless, however, the principle of the matter is what makes it something I can't ignore.

Yea I need to ease off the gas on this one, not from in here, but I read what feels to be over a thousand shit posts on the internet about this. If anything this is only going to fuel the Pats hunger with the whole, "It's us against the world." mentality which seems to help even the least talented teams hah

The assumption you have to make with this is that the NFL and investigators are not stupid because there's not enough info to be a detective. A football's air pressure would be definitely be affected by 3 hours in cold weather (throw one in the fridge and see). What I don't think we know is where those measurements were taken and exactly how much pressure it would lose per drop in degree of temperature. It's basic science, though, and you can probably assume the NFL can figure it out with the info they had (apparently the did).

Whether the balls were deflated or not it's not as if one team had an advantage over the other. They each use the same balls. This is just a bullshit story that to many people are making a big deal out of.

they do?  from what I read yesterday, they use the balls their team supplies.

The assumption you have to make with this is that the NFL and investigators are not stupid because there's not enough info to be a detective. A football's air pressure would be definitely be affected by 3 hours in cold weather (throw one in the fridge and see). What I don't think we know is where those measurements were taken and exactly how much pressure it would lose per drop in degree of temperature. It's basic science, though, and you can probably assume the NFL can figure it out with the info they had (apparently the did).

Throwing it in the fridge would not take out two pounds of air pressure for every ball in that span of time. Also, you would have to put it in the fridge, and take it out every few minutes, because the balls don't just sit there during a game, they are constantly being moved and whiped off and kept warm.

If this were a common thing there would have been no story to cover. I'm interested to see their official announcement.

Whether the balls were deflated or not it's not as if one team had an advantage over the other. They each use the same balls. This is just a bullshit story that to many people are making a big deal out of.

Yeah each team uses their own balls, not eachothers. I don't know if you've ever played football, but i'm assuming not considering that is done on every level from peewee, to gradschool, college, and the pros. That is why the Colts didn't know until almost halftime when Brady was picked off. Allegedly, the LB noticed the ball felt different (idk how he would and the refs wouldn't), and told an equipment manager who passed it on to HC and owners.

they do?  from what I read yesterday, they use the balls their team supplies.

Since the Patriots were home they supplied the balls for the game that both teams used. So, I'm not sure where you are getting that the Patriots had an advantage. If it was a close game I could see where this could be a big issue, but the Colts got their asses beat 45-7 so the loss can't be blamed on "deflated" footballs.

Yeah each team uses their own balls, not eachothers. I don't know if you've ever played football, but i'm assuming not considering that is done on every level from peewee, to gradschool, college, and the pros. That is why the Colts didn't know until almost halftime when Brady was picked off. Allegedly, the LB noticed the ball felt different (idk how he would and the refs wouldn't), and told an equipment manager who passed it on to HC and owners.

Since you are in the business of assuming you may want to get your facts checked out.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

Since you are in the business of assuming you may want to get your facts checked out.

The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

My info was also backed up by a gentleman I work with who has coached high school, college and semi-pro. One of the guys he worked under was Mike Pettine. Not that has any relevance on what we are talking about, but I'm going to side with the guy I work with on this.

Nobody was arguing that the home team doesn't need to have on hand an amount over 12 balls, that is true. However, the Colts (as all teams do) bring their own 12 balls to the game that they intend to use, if balls are depleted throughout the game (Picks, turnovers, where players keep them or give them to fans) they will resort to the balls provided but that was not the case. Also, the Colts balls were tested and they were fine.

The rule reads as "The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications". To me, that would leave a good amount of blame on the refs as they apparently did not catch it.

Also, I don't know your friend, but I have played and know many coaches as well, you rarely use the other teams footballs. In the case of the NFL if one team doesn't provide a ball they will use best available, but every team has balls ready to go, hence the entire reason for the ball boy. If fact, here are the exact rules from the NFL (I don't know here you got the 36 ball thing)

Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.

These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.

In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center.

The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).

Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

According to these rules I think the entirety of the blame has to lie with the officiating crew, unless information comes out that they were being tampered with during the game (Which I think is unlikely).