j church appr.

I was a Cringer fan during their later days and when J Church started I was an instant fan. Lance had the perfect formula for writing melodic punk songs.

Back in 1996, or was it 1997, J Church was coming thru Western Canada. At the time i lived in a punk house in Calgary, and we did shows in our basement. J Church had a 18+ bar show booked but i convinced them to play our house as well , and it is the best show i ever had the honor of putting on! I had my favorite local band Showdown 76 play (along with other friends Viceroy) and since the drummer of J Church and their roadie were in the band A Minor Forest we had them play a few songs (minus a guitar player). We crammed our tiny little basement with so many people! The band sounded better at that show than all the other times i saw them, and they let me help them write the set list in my kitchen.

I miss Lance so much.

I didn't get to see Lance much or catch many live shows (even when he moved down to Texas) but Lance totally ruled! I had always wanted to put out a rekid by JChurch and then one day, I received the songs and artwork in the mail. I was totally stoked. The rekid was supposed to be a split 7 inch with a Hong Kong band but that sorta fell thru so we asked The Tank if they wanted to be on the flipside.

J Church was fucking awesome.. Even though we would play shows with them or i'd see him at a J Church show i never really spoke to him for years. Then one day he popped up at my work. After asking him what the fuck he was doing in my line, he told me that he had moved here with his gf etc etc... since then we'd talk when he was in the area and stopped by to tell me about shows.. Swell guy he was..It was sad hearing about him pass. It hit the Austin community pretty hard, as everyone and their mother knew Lance... J church will always be in my memory or on my record player at least once a week.... always was, is, and will be.

I've always hear such good things, where's a good place to start?

wow, that's the golden question.. i either own or have heard 99% of their output and I would tell you either "Camels, Spilled Carona.." or "Quetzalcoatl".

p.s. Check my wants list.. I used to be obsessive in the mid/late '90s about collecting their stuff and am now trying to finish it up.

I've always hear such good things, where's a good place to start?

Nostalgic for Nothing is a great collection of early singles, also "camels and spilled Coronas" is a collection of singles. These 2 records contain some of my favorite songs. Another favorite record is Arbor Vitae. The reality is though that you could start anywhere in J Church's catalog and be stoked.

man, spilled corona, thats a great one too. goddamn, lance could write a song about anything, unlike me who couldn't even write a song about sitting in my room haha. the dude could write a song about not being able to write songs! seriously one of the greatest punk songwriters, fuck any songwriter to ever live. RIP lance, you may be gone, but your music lives on. i'd blast horror of life if everyone wasn't sleeping.

J Church has a weird, weird back catalog and every record I've bought is great, not only for the good song writing, lyrics, etc...but because I usually have absolutely no idea what that record is going to sound like. They all sound like J Church, but some of em don't at the same time(in a good way) So since it's very difficult to find everything, slowly buying their albums, comps, EPs, etc...is like a whirlwind of you never know where you're gonna stop or what you're in for. That's the extra little thing I loved about them.

Not too long ago somebody was talking about the 'Cat Food' LP on here and I had just recently got that one too, and where I was at least expecting it to fall on the twee-pop side of Lance's taste, given the title, the artwork and putting it on and it's super fast and "heavier" (than usual older JC stuff) I was just like, well goddamn, Lance you're still surprising me.

J Church has a weird, weird back catalog and every record I've bought is great, not only for the good song writing, lyrics, etc...but because I usually have absolutely no idea what that record is going to sound like. They all sound like J Church, but some of em don't at the same time(in a good way) So since it's very difficult to find everything, slowly buying their albums, comps, EPs, etc...is like a whirlwind of you never know where you're gonna stop or what you're in for. That's the extra little thing I loved about them.

Not too long ago somebody was talking about the 'Cat Food' LP on here and I had just recently got that one too, and where I was at least expecting it to fall on the twee-pop side of Lance's taste, given the title, the artwork and putting it on and it's super fast and "heavier" (than usual older JC stuff) I was just like, well goddamn, Lance you're still surprising me.

yeah thats exactly how i feel, he's all over the place, but its always great. also some of the best lyrics in punk.