Screw vinyl, I buy my records on lanterns!

Of Montreal Issue Album Via Lantern, Tote Bag, Stickers

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/144639-of-montreal-issue-album-via-lantern-tote-bag-stickers

Man, and you thought that gilded "Id Engager" 7" was lavish. For the release of Of Montreal's forthcoming Skeletal Lamping album, Polyvinyl will simultaneously bring out the set in seven different formats, several of which are all kinds of crazy fun.

Sure, there's a CD, and an 180 gram double-vinyl set, as you'd probably expect. But you can also cop Skeletal Lamping in the form of a t-shirt, a button set, a tote bag, a mess of wall decals, and, wildest of all, a paper lantern! Lookee here:

[image]

Because you can't rightly expect to get much sound out of a paper lantern, each edition comes with a code for a download of the full disc. And even the more traditional options each come with something fancy: the vinyl arrives with a giant (3'x4') poster of the horse you see at left above, while the actual CD is affixed with the foldout poster you can see in the bottom right corner above.

The effort is, of course, to give the record-buyer something a little radder than a JPEG to go along with the music, as well as get the most out of the album's recently amended artwork.

Skeletal Lamping, in its many forms, is due October 7, the very night the band kick off their intercontinental fall tour. Hey, you could wear your brand new Skeletal Lamping t-shirt to the show! Er, on second thought, don't be that guy.

All this additional stuff is getting a bit too overwhelming for me, can't we just go back to releasing music, not fucking fan packages.

i dont know man. i think its pretty cool. at least they are doing something different and trying to make the release unique. if it was just a regular album chances it would not get the attention that its going to get now. yeah it's a gimmick, but at least theyre trying

I like the idea, I think some of you are missing the point here. These items are just a way to offer those who would buy a digital download a little more then just some files. If you read you see that your also given all the artwork in high res files, the original art, not just as the album art. I think If I purchased digital albums then I would really like the fact that I could get a shirt or a tote bag, something "real" for the 10 bucks I will be spending.

of montreal has always offered tons of bonus stuff with every album anyway. bonus ep's of covers, bonus 7"s, elaborate singles between albums, all kinds of vinyl. they have to be the most productive band on polyvinyl. i own all their cd's, most of their polyvinyl lp's. i think i need to pre-order this now! i don't think i'll buy anything but the music, but the idea is still interesting and worth supporting.