Weasel Vs. Kelly?

All I've seen is this (from Brendan's blog):

Okay, now here’s a quick piece of advice to punk rock persona, Ben Weasel:

Hi Ben, we’ve never met, but we share some things in common. We both sing in bands that come from Chicago and…okay, that’s about everything. Anyway, let’s get to the point here. Ben, starting a feud is like walking beneath a flock of birds. It’s crucial that you always look up. You’ve done some good stuff, and your career is kind of impressive. Sure, you’re no fat mike, or Tim Armstrong, or even a Jesse Michaels or Joe Escalante, but hey, you’ve made some important records. I mean, I, like everyone with any taste in pop punk, think ‘My Brain Hurts’ is great, and maybe unlike most people, think that ‘How to make Enemies’ is criminally underrated. But I digress…Okay, I’m no Fat Mike either. Hell, I’m not even a Ben Weasel, and I’m fine with that. I just like playing music and drinking beer with my friends. If you want to feud with someone for no reason (and you really have no reason to even breathe the name of my band to anyone. We’ve never met, shared a stage, been active on a label at the same time…nothing…it’s just odd) it’s important, once again, Ben, that you look up. Find a popular band full of dipshits, like, say the All American Rejects, just to use any old example, and say something like “those nancies spend all their time flat ironing their hair and aren’t fit to wash the jockstraps of the Jonas Bros. “ That’s how it works. You attack the big guys, and they hopefully respond, increasing your visibility in the process. Now, nothing against the All American Rejects. I’m sure those guys aren’t dipshits. Again, just an example. I actually like some of their music.

Anyway, I’m rambling again, but you get my point, right Ben? Now, when you pick on me and my band, you’re looking down, lashing out at someone less well known than you, and that is just backwards. Only assholes prey on the small and weak. It’s heroes who aim high. I’m not trying to call you an asshole, Ben. I just think you fail to understand how to effectively um…you know, Make Enemies and Irritate People, no pun intended.

See, your insistence, your stupid, misguided insistence on bringing us up as some sort of terrible band reference point is only flattering. Yeah, I’m flattered that you even know who my stupid band is. So there, buddy. Do what you want. Lord knows I’m not changing any lives over here, but I’m not interested in your pissing contest, either. I’ll never speak of this again, but I really feel like you should take my advice and do the same. Otherwise, you’re just going to make my crappy band more popular, while at the same time cultivating an image for yourself as some sort of ‘crazy asshole,’ and I’d hate to see that phrase applied to your name, Ben, That would be a real shame.

See you in the funny papers, everyone!

Guest baseball

Ben Weasel has always seemed like an asshole from what I've read. Still a fan of his music. At the same time, the asshole persona has always seemed kind of like an act to me. I kind of always got the vibe he was half-joking. Sounds like I was wrong though.

Brendan Kelly's blog is hilarious, that's part of my daily reading.

I remember awhile back (probably about 4-6 years ago) SPIN did an expose on ben weasel. It was an ok read from what I remember, but one thing that stuck out was that he basically burned every and any bridge he possibly could w/ nearly all the rock clubs in chicago back in the day.

that whole club thing was pretty complicated...and too involved to write down the reasoning for on a messageboard.

...it was before my time anyway...

however, him boycotting playing at the Metro for some stupid punk rock reasoning is quickly negated by the multiple times "Screeching Weasel" played at the House of Blues(aka a Disney-owned corporate venue) vs. the Metro who is still to this day, privately owned...and not by a big corporation, by one guy(who is an asshole, but that's also another story for another day.)

I love how he's been doing the same schtick for over 20 years and people still don't get it. It's bad enough people like this Kelley guy take themselves so seriously, it's even worse that people who don't know either of them take it even more seriously. He'll stop saying shit like this when whiney, pretentious gas bags like B. Kelley and his fans stop fanning the flames and stop giving him a reason to bring egos back down to earth. I still love it.

I love how he's been doing the same schtick for over 20 years and people still don't get it. It's bad enough people like this Kelley guy take themselves so seriously, it's even worse that people who don't know either of them take it even more seriously. He'll stop saying shit like this when whiney, pretentious gas bags like B. Kelley and his fans stop fanning the flames and stop giving him a reason to bring egos back down to earth. I still love it.

See I think that's lamer than lame. If Ben Weasel does it all as an act and keeps up that act for 20+ years its not much of an act anymore. Its just who he is. Its old, its lame. Stop it. You're taking yourself too seriously at that point as much as anyone else.