Record Labels Keep Finding New Ways To Fuck You

jhulud

hell, i like the fact that labels press and repress records. i'm usually too late for the initial pressing, get very sad coz i missed out and then 6 months down the track, become happy again coz the label repressed it! yay! i now get to buy a copy, from the label, directly financially supporting the band rather than supporting some ebay tout.

i also very much like the fact i can choose a variation i like best.

this guy is a bit of a twit, in that as explained in posts above, he dont know much about independent record labels AND dont know much about the mentality of vinyl purchasers.

i'm gonna say:

GO SOUTHERN LORD

GO HYDRAHEAD

GO MATADOR

GO TEMPORARY RESIDENCE

not-so go Inoxia coz they dont repress... :-(

These labels put out all those variants because they know that their core fans are gonna buy them. I don't believe any of these indy labels put these records out and not sell, the blogger is full of shit on that one. He does come off kinda biter but he does have a point about the ridiculous amount of 'limited' presses. To each his own, but I can't see why anyone would want more than 1 copy of their favorite record unless your a DJ and need 2-3 copies to mix.

I can't see why anyone would want more than 1 copy of their favorite record unless your a DJ and need 2-3 copies to mix.

that's because nobody does. but i put in a comment on the original blog linked here saying that the only record i own multiple copies of i do because it has extreme sentimental value. but i'm not going to buy 40 versions of it.

The article is so incorrect that I simply refuse to rebut it in any real way.

I will address retail though, as no one seems to and it really needs to be.

Retail has been killing itself for a number of years. Retail has always made a ton of profit on releases, much more so than the labels that are providing them. They may play the role of a victim of file sharing, but they were partnered with the Major Label "Suggested Retail Price" Model since it's inception. The system that both Majors and Retailers abused for over a decade. When CDs were insanely priced, these are the ones that benefited. These same retailers came up with a "genius" way to screw labels and bands by selling millions of "Used" (and promotional copies, which they shouldn't be selling, but they still do) albums in a variety of formats over the years. Retail is losing the support of the labels, because this "Used" model does nothing to compensate anyone but the Retailer themselves. Artists lose, labels lose, and in most cases the customers lose because they are paying $6-12 for a "Used" release that they buy from customers for $1 or 2. Again, no compensation goes back to the labels and bands when they double and triple sell releases. Something seems a bit flawed in that system.

These same retailers do all of us independent labels "favors" by making us purchase placement on their shelves, literally. Then if they don't sell these releases that we pay to get into their stores, we get them back, and they still get their check. Again, something seems a bit flawed in that system in my opinion.

Independent labels are becoming more and more self sufficient, offering interesting/unique packages direct, and are taking steps to simply cut them out completely. As an artist and label owner, I'd rather offer an honest and quality release direct via an Independent label, than spend more time/effort playing their bullshit game filled with fake victims and fairweather support.

There are some fantastic Retailers out there, but they really are few and far between.

-J.