hip hop vinyl thread

michael

I don't see much discussion on here about hip hop vinyl...Perhaps no one here's into hip hop (if that's the case, this topic can be closed, it's cool.) Anyway, I'm into hip hop but my collection is a lot smaller compared to my punk/hardcore collection. Here's my list:

2Pac - Me Against The World

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Big L - Harlem's Finest: A Freestyle History, Vol. II

Jay-Z - The Black Album

Jay-Z - Blue Magic (clear blue)

Kanye West - Late Registration

M.I.A. - Arular

Ma$e - Harlem World

Mobb Deep - The Infamous

Smif-N-Wessun - Dah Shinin'

Various Artists - Think Differently Music: Wu-Tang Meets Indie Culture

Anyone else into hip hop collecting? I found this real good hip hop record store in NYC called Fat Beats if anyone in the tri-state area's interested...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have a few hip hop albums. There is a place here that just reopened and it's supposed to have a ton of hip hop records, especially New Orleans artists, so I have to check that out.

ATCQ- Low End Theory

Beastie Boys, The - License To Ill

Black Star - S/T

Wu Tang Clan- 36 Chambers

I also have 2 singles from Aesop Rock and the Roots

all I've got is Speakerboxxx and the Love Below

I wanna pick up Kanye...I see 'em every time I hit up the Record Store...but they're expensive and I don't think I'd play 'em all that much

I want N.W.A. (all) Ice Cube's "The Predator" The Roots would be nice and back catalog of Outkast

Fat Beats is a huge hip-hop distro, they are awesome.

My hip-hop collection isn't too big, but I'm working on it:

Atmosphere - When God Gives You Lemons... (Yellow)

Sage Francis - A Healthy Distrust

Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot (Blue)

Artists I wanna add to my collection:

Non-Prophets

Murs

Atmosphere (more, especially Strictly Leakage)

J-Zone

The Coup

Most of the hip hop I have is on CD but I have a few things on vinyl. I used to have a bunch of hip hop records from when I was a kid but I either got rid of them or they're sitting in my parents garage.

Kanye West - Late Registration

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

Beastie Boys - To the Five Boroughs

Beastie Boys - The Mix Up

i love the beastie boys but goddamn their vinyl is the most overpriced out of any band ever.....8 dollars for a new 7"? this was at generation too, which is normally real reasonable.

all the Beasties albums i found were under $10 because they were "used". The Mix Up and To The 5 Boroughs were used but still sealed.

I really want to get more hip hop albums, but i dont see them around that often... really want the 1st wu tang, tical, liquid swords, immortal technique lps and a bunch others.

i think this is everything i have

Atmosphere - Seven's Travels 3x LP Black Vinyl

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, Paint That Shit Gold 2x LP Yellow Vinyl

Gym Class Hereos - As Cruel As School Children LP Blue Vinyl

Method Man - 4:21 The Day After 2xLP Black Vinyl

Method Man - Tical 2001: Judgement Day 2xLP Black Vinyl

Necro - Gory Days 2xLP Test Pressing/White Sleeve

Sage Francis - Human Death Dance 2x LP Black Vinyl

Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot 12" Black Vinyl

Thirstin Howl III - Brooklyn Hard Rock 12" Black Vinyl

V/A - Sway and Tech - This or That - Dilated Peoples, Canibus, Guru, Gangstarr, Jurassic 5, Rakim, KRS-1, Eminem, Redman, RZA… LP Black Vinyl

V/A - Sway and Tech - Wake Up Show Vol 6 - Jurassic 5, Pharoahe Monch, Eminem, GZA, KRS-1, ONYX… LP Black Vinyl

Even though I have a lot of them Hip Hop Vinyl is far less appealing to the collector because you don't see (m)any limited releases for the most part.

yeah, this is true, although i'm not really a 'collector' in that sense.

I wouldn't be either when it came to hip hop at least, since it isn't really my genre of choice even though I still love the early 90s ones I came up on.

If there was a limited version of a hip hop record as compared to a black one in the quantities we can assume they are pressed in, I dont think I would care.

You would think the hip hop vinyl marketing may be missing the boat on that to a certain extent, but if we don't care, maybe who would given that they play to a different demographic, including DJs who could care less about such things (I know DJs dont spin full hip hop LPs, but you get my drift)

Edit: While we are on the subject, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era on vinyl besides ebay, let me know ;D

Can anyone tell me if Lil Wayne/Birdman "Like Father, Like Son" was ever pressed? This local place had a 2xLP of it but I went to pick it up and it was gone. I haven't seen it anywhere else at all which makes me think it was a bootleg.

And the Aesop Rock DJ single has Fast Cars (Dirty, Clean, Inst) and Number Nine (Dirty, Clean, Inst)

yeah, this is true, although i'm not really a 'collector' in that sense.

Edit: While we are on the subject, if anyone knows where I can get a copy of Warren G - Regulate...G Funk Era on vinyl besides ebay, let me know ;D

http://www.amazon.com/Regulate-G-Funk-Era-Warren-G/dp/B0000583EH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1222211221&sr=1-1

sorry that's all i could find...again, if y'all want to make a list for me i'll check fat beats soon, i live like 6 or 7 blocks away from it.