Beck: The Information 5xLP Box Set

beck is so far the king of ripping off fans that want his catalog on vinyl. just ridiculous to charge this much. anyone seen the portishead "third" boxset? i got it for $50 with shipping. way decent and really an awesome package. beck could have done something for maybe $80 and interested me but this is way out of hand.

beck is so far the king of ripping off fans that want his catalog on vinyl. just ridiculous to charge this much. anyone seen the portishead "third" boxset? i got it for $50 with shipping. way decent and really an awesome package. beck could have done something for maybe $80 and interested me but this is way out of hand.

This is less Beck and more Artists in Residence setting the price. This is not just a vinyl release, it's visual art package as well, so your paying a premium for a reason. Something tells me they approached Beck to do the release, not Beck looking to rip off fans exactly. Keep in mind the other fancy boxes they released are just as expensive.

it's honestly not even THAT good of an album. i own the cd but i can't see ever shelling out that much for this boxset. it's more than the 4xLP odelay and that to me is the boxset to buy. i will agree that the company manufaturing is probably the main reason it's so pricey. it's a shame, i'd just like to own a regular edition of it and save my money to one day get the odelay box ;)

Since I've been ranting about it lately here it continues:

I feel this is in some way tied to the overall declining sales of physical music. Labels know they have a small bases of loyal listeners (maybe 5-10% overall) who love physical music and will buy it. This is why more and more bands/labels are pressing vinyl and are releasing huge deluxe editions. They're depending on that 5-10% to make up a much larger portion of the sales. It's an interesting tacit but I doubt it will last. Folks will get sick of owning an 11xLP edition of a 30 minute album that comes with 13 temporary tattoos and a voodoo doll and costs $400.