smashing pumpkins

so this morning at 10:00, tickets went on sale for the 4 shows they're playing in chicago around thanksgiving time.

they were my favorite band for about 3 years back in the day, but i was always too young to go to a show by myself and there was no way in hell i would ever ask my parents to take me to one (nor would they have taken me to one, in my opinion, if i had asked).

it was always a dream of mine to see them live, and when they broke up, i was legitimately crushed because i thought i never would be able to. given, when they broke up they were no longer my favorite band, but it was just that feeling that i was never going to be able to check them off my list, you know?

i didn't like zwan that much. i didn't like billy's solo stuff that much. obviously, with both cases, there were a couple songs that were listenable, but overall it wasn't doing it for me. i wasn't too high on that zeitgeist album, either, but at least it gave me hope that i'd see them in person one day.

so this morning i bought 2 tickets for the saturday the 22 show. tickets were $48 or $65, i chose the $48 because i knew there was going to be $10 per ticket of "convenience" charges. there was also an option on ticketmaster that if you pay like 15 more bucks, a few days after your show you'll be able to download an mp3 version of the show you attended, so i also bought that. all in all, i dropped $135 on two tickets and a digital live album, but i couldn't be more excited.

anybody else going?

sorry man, the pumpkins aren't the pumpkins without Iha and D'Arcy. this band should be called The Corgan-Chamberlain Group

Eh, I kind of agree but Billy did do almost all the writing and music.

that may be true. but if you compare the stuff they did as the original four piece (Billy, James, D'Arcy, and Jimmy) versus anything else (Adore, Zeigeist, or even the tours with Melissa Auf der Maur), nothing comes even remotely close to how great they were as the original four-piece.

from what i understand, though, it's their 20th anniversary tour and the setlist will be comprised of all their old standards. it's not like they're playing any of the new music (or a lot of it, at least) so i think it'll still be amazing.

and TWAT... my buddy who is like 15 years older than me said that the best show he's ever been to in his life was a $12 concert where the red hot chili peppers were the headlining band, and the openers were two little-known chicago bands called smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. to top that all off, you know how they play music over the loudspeakers in between the bands' sets? that night was the first time he ever heard nirvana. they played smells like teen spirit over the pa. pretty sweet night for $12 if you ask me...

Guest conoley
from what i understand, though, it's their 20th anniversary tour and the setlist will be comprised of all their old standards. it's not like they're playing any of the new music (or a lot of it, at least) so i think it'll still be amazing.

and TWAT... my buddy who is like 15 years older than me said that the best show he's ever been to in his life was a $12 concert where the red hot chili peppers were the headlining band, and the openers were two little-known chicago bands called smashing pumpkins and pearl jam. to top that all off, you know how they play music over the loudspeakers in between the bands' sets? that night was the first time he ever heard nirvana. they played smells like teen spirit over the pa. pretty sweet night for $12 if you ask me...

Sounds awesome, but I have to point out that Pearl Jam are from Seattle, not Chicago.

I'll say that the rest of the lineup doesn't matter, Smashing Pumpkins were always Corgan's band. They may have gotten shittier when Iha left, but I don't think the two are anything more than mildly related.

I never got too big on this band, but my step-cousin did. My grandma asked him what he wanted for Christmas when one of their CDs was new so he said that, and she asked what kind of music it was. His reply was "it's what you'd listen to right before you jump off a bridge." Needless to say, he didn't get that CD for christmas.

the reason the first albums seemed better was the time they came out. we were all way younger and more impressionable and hadnt heard that sound before so everybody ate it up, but now that we are older we have such a huge library of music to compare new releases to that they have to be pretty special to stand out. so i think it has less to do with the line up and song ideas and more to do with the time in our lives it came out

i was the same way. they were my favorite band from like 3rd grade through 7th. the difference is, i decided the worst that could happen if i asked my dad to take me to a concert is hed say no. but he said yes, and knew someone who got free tickets. this was on of the mellon collie tours, like 5th grade? such an awesome show.

one of my friends went when they did the series of shows in asheville, and said they played an amazing set. you should be in for a fun night regardless of line up